21

He smiled, then, a real smile

He smiled, then, a real smile. And Honey couldn't look away, feeling the urge to smile herself. She had not seen Five Hargreeve's with such determination, such belief in himself, and it was infectious.

Still, the nagging fear tugged at her heart, the uncertainty.

He dragged her to the door, hand still in her own, and she let him. He opened it and peered out left and right, keeping her behind him.

She took one last sip of her drink and left it on a desk nearby, when he turned to her, urgency in his eyes.

"I need to send off a message to Hazel and Cha-Cha," at the contusion in her eyes, he elaborated. "I'll explain everything later. We don't have much time."

She nodded and in a blink and a flash of familiar blue, they reappeared somewhere in the Temps Division. She swallowed down the nausia as he released her hand, fishing a slip of paper out of his pocket. She scanned the area and realised they were in the pneumatic tube room.

In front of them were pipes all set up like channels to send messages to agents out on the field, metal cylindrical containers to contain the notes.

She watched Five pick up one and place the paper from his pocket inside before closing it. He didn't waste time in sending it off, and the metal container disappeared down the channel with a whoosh.

Honey hadn't realised she was staring, still entranced in the fact that Five was there, right in front of her, he had come back - and that they were breaking so many rules, so many things that had been drilled into her head now shattering to pieces - that when a delicate, manicured hand fell onto her shoulder, she flinched hard.

When her eyes fell on the neat, red, pointed nails digging into her shoulder, Honey felt so stricken with dread that she could not move.

And she must have called his name or something, but she didn't quite remember his name leaving her mouth or the fact she had even spoken.

But he had heard her voice, small, shaky, call his name so quietly under the blaring wail of the alarms that his heart stuttered and he first thought it was just his mind playing tricks on him. When Five turned, the smug smile wiped off of his face instantly at seeing Honey pulled away from him, her skin paling by the second.

His eyes fell on the way The Handlers nails dug into her shoudler, trapping her in place, so close to her that the girl scarcely breathed; something paralysing her with fear.

The Handler smiled bitterly across at Five. "That isn't how we do things here," she scolds with a smile, pulling Honey a tad closer with her vicious hold, glaring down at her and hissing in her ear. "You of all people should know that, Honey."

She closed her eyes briefly. Hated the way her name sounded in her mouth.

"Where's Gloria?" She asked Five.