Chapter 29 - ॐ

CHAPTER 29

Feel It Out

(recap) -

Braille sat upright in my bed as I handed her a water bottle and a stick of string cheese.

"Thank you..." She said without making eye contact, and I couldn't blame her. It was hard for me to do it and I'm the one in the wrong.

I sat at the edge of the bed as I released a sigh.

"I think it's about time that we tackled the elephant in the room..." I began. Braille looked a bit nervous but nodded her head in agreement.

I placed a candle on my warmer that induced tranquility. I then sat back at the edge of my bed with a soft exhale. Braille quietly unwrapped her string cheese as I built up the courage to speak.

...I hate having to initiate hard conversations.

"Braille, I know you like me. I never asked why... but ain't you not like me at first?" I asked her.

There was a brief moment of silence as Braille exhaled.

"Honestly..." She began, and I prepared myself mentally to what would follow next. "It was Taye that I didn't like, everything she did pissed me off. Shit between us was already bad, then she brought you into the picture, and it was the cherry on top to our demise."

I felt instant relief wash over me and she continued, "At first, I just wanted to fuck with you a bit. That changed once I got to know you. Then I got even more pissed at the fact that Taye wounds up with a gem like you, and I was basically just a wingman or a forever third wheel. I hated the thought."

Braille met my gaze as she told me, "I never got to formally apologize for what I'd put you through. It was just for shits and giggles, but I do realize that I can go overboard... like today for instance... and I'm sorry."

I let out a breath before I told her, "It's all good. You don't gotta apologize, Braille... that's the past. Today wasn't only on you, I was at fault too."

"That is the past, and things are way different now... my feelings for you are different." She says with an exhale and meets my eyes again.

"My heart doesn't just race but it aches for you... to be around you, and whisk you away from Taye." She tells me with both confidence and sincerity, "So, yeah... I do like you."

She was looking directly at me when she spoke and my heart tripped over one of its own beats. I was more surprised than moved by her words.

...I haven't heard her talk so seriously before.

I went to open my mouth and she quickly intervenes to say, "I know you don't want a relationship! I just wanted to tell you, because I'm not one to keep shit to myself. This is one of the first times I've been rejected... so just let me pour my feelings out."

I nodded, complying to let her continue to express herself as she saw fit.

"I knew things between you and Taye were strictly sexual, so I thought I might've had a chance receiving you romantically, you know?" Braille says, before laughing at herself.