ONE YEAR

SUMMARY: On the day before Christmas you realize just how much has changed in one year.

WORD COUNT: 1.2k

Time has always been such a weird concept in your life. When you were a kid one year felt like a decade, week-long summer vacations felt endless and you could have sworn that you'd never grow up.

But then, of course, you did, like everyone else and time sneakily started to speed up. One day after the other, weeks turned into months and years and before you could realize, another birthday has passed, you got older even though the last one felt like it was yesterday.

One year can feel like a second, but it can also make such a difference and today, the day before Christmas you're reminded of it.

Waking up you're not surprised to find the other side of the bed empty. The mornings when you could peacefully cuddle with Harry are now long gone, but knowing that he is somewhere out with your daughter makes up for all the missed moments together in bed.

Stretching long you give yourself a couple more minutes to just rest and get your head ready for the day. The night wasn't too rough, only had to wake up twice to feed Alma and she went back to sleep without a fuss this time. Maybe she can finally feel the Christmas spirit as well and her gift is to let you rest finally.

Sitting up in bed you turn towards the window and see that it's still snowing, the street outside is clothed in the prettiest white blankets that's almost entirely untouched since it's so early in the morning. Your wish for Alma to have a first Christmas with snow is actually coming true.

Snatching one of Harry's hoodies from the closet, you make your way out of the bedroom as you're putting it on, noticing his voice coming from the living room the moment you reach the stairs. Trying to be as quiet as possible you head down, hearing his cooing voice that's for sure for Alma.

"See them? You like them? They are pretty, right?"

He has the most soothing voice as it is, but whenever he is talking to Alma it feels like it softens even more, as if that little girl melts the man in every possible way.

Well, that's kind of the truth, Harry is smitten with his girl.

Harry is standing by the window that watches over the snowy street, the lights of the christmas tree reflecting in the glass because it's still a bit dark outside. He is holding Alma in one arm, holding the curtains to the side with his free hand, gently swaying from side to side, a motion that always calms your baby, but only when her daddy does it.

As you watch them in awe you think back to this exact day a year ago. It's one to remember, because this was the day you found out you were pregnant and you shared the news with Harry. As much as you love your daughter, it's no secret you weren't planning her arrival so soon. Harry proposed just weeks before the pregnancy came into the picture and you both agreed to take some time just for the two of you, enjoy married life alone before expanding your family. Travel, explore, find yourself before becoming parents.

All those plans changed when the second line appeared on your test.

Harry was surprised, maybe even shocked a bit. Not because he didn't want kids, but because he was planning with another timeline that only included babies in 2-3 years. You talked for long hours that day and he told you he doesn't feel ready, that he's afraid he might not be the best father our baby deserves and he's scared he might mess it up. You both cried and shared all your feelings and thoughts.

It took time for him to settle with the idea of becoming a father earlier than he planned, but by the time the nursery was done, he was a changed man. Throughout your pregnancy he did everything he could to better himself and be ready for Alma's arrival. He read every possible parenting book out there, always took care of you and looked for ways to be more present in this new chapter of your life together.

Now it's been four months since Alma was born and Harry is easily the best father you could ever wish for your baby and you're so proud of him for everything he does for you and Alma as well. There's no trace of that scared, doubtful man you sat on the couch with a year ago, the positive pregnancy test lying on the coffee table in front of you.

Alma's head turns, as if she had a sixth sense to notice when you're around and she gives you a toothless grin as you make your way across the room. Harry turns and you see the same sparkle in his eyes when he looks at you that you saw the first time you met. He says he knew he would marry you one day the moment he laid his eyes on you. You believe him, because you felt the same way.

"Good morning you two," you smile, pressing a kiss to Alma's forehead and one to Harry's lips.

"Morning Mommy, we didn't wake you up, right?"

"No," you shake your head. Alma visibly starts to wiggle towards you, Harry hands her over and she lays her head to your chest right away, her tiny hands grabbing onto the sweatshirt that smells like Harry.

"Princess is kinda hungry, but I thought I could prolong breakfast a bit and distract her with the snow." Harry smiles gently, running his knuckles down the side of Alma's round face.

"You like the snow, huh? We'll see how much you like it when we're outside in the cold," you chuckle.

You move over to the couch and Harry follows you, you sit beside each other, Harry's arm instantly comes around you, pulling you against his chest as you settle Alma in your arms to feed her. This has been your usual for the morning feeding, but almost all feeding, because Harry loves being present in these moments. All those sleepless nights when she woke up every two hours and you had to sit in the nursery for most of the night to feed her, Harry was there every time. If you weren't sleeping, he wasn't either, even if all he could do was just be there, run his fingers through your hair and tell you how great of a mother you are, he never missed a chance to be present.

As usual, Alma passes out in your arms once her tummy is full and you can't help but just stare at her and think of how you can't imagine your life without her now.

Turning your head you find Harry gazing down at her as well with sparkling eyes and you wish to see him like this, so happy and content every day for the rest of your life.

"What?" he asks with a tiny, shy smirk, pressing a kiss to your forehead.

"Just... I was thinking about how much has happened in one year."

Harry hums and you know he is thinking about the same thing from last year.

"Yeah. It's crazy. Can't wait to see what the next one holds."