26 | in the middle of finding out

Y/n grunted as she landed on the roof of a house, her clothes drenched in blood — human or Titan, she wasn't sure. She was panting and as she looked down, she noticed how dull her blades had become.

"Y/n, watch out!"

She looked to her left at Jean's call and noticed a Titan's hand reaching out to her. She quickly triggered her blades and launched herself up. In the air, she quickly released the blades and reloaded her last pair, coming down and slicing the Titan's nape.

She landed back on the roof where Jean had been. "That was so cool!" Jean said and Y/n could almost see the sparkles in his eyes.

Y/n grinned at him. "There's a reason why i was sixth in ranking, Jean-Bo!"

"Yeah, there really was." He gave her one of his soft smiles and Y/n felt her chest tighten.

The moment of tranquility was over too soon as Jean's eyes suddenly widened. "Y/n!"

He pushed her away and she felt to the side, watching as the Titan grabbed Jean, its fist fully enveloping him.

"JEAN!" Y/n quickly got up and tried to trigger her wires but her equipment refused to work. "No, no, no, fuck!"

"Y/n!" Jean yelled and she looked up, watching as the Titan brought Jean up to its face.

Y/n's heart sank. No, this couldn't be happening. "JEAN!"

"Y/n!"

"NO!" Y/n yelled as the Titan opened its mouth.

"Y/N!"

"JEAN!"

Y/n's eyes widened as the Titan took a chunk of Jean, blood and flesh flying everywhere.

"JEAN!"

"Y/N!"

Her eyes snapped open and she frantically sat up in her bed, her hands holding tightly on a piece of cloth — her eyes widely moved around the semi-dark room.

"Y/n!" She heard a familiar voice call out and her eyes finally fell on Jean, whose face was illuminated by a candlelight.

"Jean . . ." Her voice trembled as she spoke. Her whole body was shaking. "Jean—"

"Shh, it's okay," Jean said, putting a hand on her cheek. "You're safe. You're in your room, it's okay."

Y/n looked around, noticing she was in her new room in their hideout. She shared with Sasha, but the girl wasn't there.

"Was it a nightmare?" Jean asked. Y/n looked back at him and nodded. He pursed his lips. "Come here." He brought her in his arms and she rested her head on his shoulder, finally letting go of her blanket to wrap her hands around his back.

This felt familiar. She'd used to get nightmares as a kid, especially after her father had passed. Much like then, Jean had been the one to comfort her during their sleepovers, which were frequent. He'd hold her like that and then they'd talk for a bit and go back to sleep. Except back then, she'd cry on his shoulder. She didn't now. Then again, back then, her biggest problems were the bullies, not human-eating Titans.

It took her a while to calm down her breathing and racing heart. Jean simply held her and ran his hands through her hair, whispering things like, "I'm here" and "you're safe" over and over again.

Y/n didn't talk. Her eyes remained open, fearing she'd see Jean's blood spraying around if she closed them.

"How did you know?" Y/n whispered in his neck so quietly she almost thought he hadn't heard her.