Insomnia

The summer weeks were passing quickly, which he was partially thankful for, he and James had but heads once again when on 'family vacation', and since they'd been back the pair hadn't spoken much. He was trying to keep his cool and hold back to keep his promise to Sirius but it was getting harder, especially with his lack of sleep currently. He'd spent most of his summer nights stuck in a bad dream and waking in a cold sweat. Tonight had been no different. 

He was lying on his bed with his chest rising and falling heavily as he tried to collect himself and steady his breathing, the room lit by the moon that shined through his window, his whole body damp with sweat. It was the same type of dream every time. Visions of an old house, he could make out Peter's face and another person who he didn't know the name of... Then there was the voice that he recognised. His voice. The Dark Lord's voice. He tried to wake himself when these dreams started, but he felt trapped like something was stopping him from pulling himself out. 

He rolled out of bed headed downstairs and slipped out of the door before shifting and running to the lake in his wolf form, taking advice from Sirius he had found that using his animagi to help clear his head worked rather well. Staying out until the sun had been up for a while, before shifting back and slowly jogging back to the house.

His mother and father were in the kitchen, his mother clearing away breakfast and his father sat at the dining table with a coffee and the newspaper. Plastered on the front page he saw the news he had been waiting for. Sirius. 

"Did you just get back?" James asked, looking his son over.

"No, I got back late last night, just went for a morning run." he shrugged, "Wait- What's the news on Sirius?" he asked his father, moving over to look at the paper, taking it without even hesitating.

"Elijah, I was reading that," James grumbled, watching as his son read the article.

"Holy fuck! Is he coming today?" The boy asked excitedly, noting the little paragraph about Peter escaping his holding cell but pushing it to the back of his mind. 

"Language." The man warned his son, taking back the paper. 

Lily was pulling out a cake she had been baking, as she answered her son, "He and Remus will be coming, yes." Looking up to check the clock she nodded, "They should be here early afternoon."

"Brilliant." The boy beamed, downing his coffee and pouring another one. 

"Maybe take it easy on the coffee?" Lily suggested, patting her son's shoulder.

"Where is Harry?" Elijah asked, looking around the dining room seemingly confused. 

"He's gone to get dressed and showered for our guests.. I suggest you do the same." James murmured. 

The boy opened his mouth to give a smart-ass reply but decided against it, wanting to ride the high of finally having Sirius come around. Instead, he disappeared upstairs to get showered and dressed. 

A few hours later he heard voices downstairs, and he wasted no time rushing down the stairs. In the kitchen stood Moony, Padfoot, Harry, and his mother and father. He leaned against the doorway, grinning ear to ear as he watched them all together. 

"Look what the werewolf dragged in." he finally said, making Sirius turn around with a grin of his own. 

The pair pulled each other into a tight hug, staying like that for a few moments before pulling back. 

"Congratulations on being free." Elijah hummed, moving to greet and hug Remus too. 

"Thanks to the Potter brothers, I am, yes." Sirius smiled, wrapping an arm around Elijah's shoulder as they turned back to the others.