Tryouts and Catchups

Sunday morning was another early rise for Elijah, this time though he was setting up the quidditch field for try outs. Unlike past tryouts there were a few more teachers here this time, Professor Snape and Madam Hooch were a constant, but he swore he could see McGonagall, Lupin and Dumbledore in the stands too. Fred, George and the golden trio had even shown up, probably to taunt them and spy, but he didn't care. 

"Why exactly do we have to be here so early?" Jay pouted, as a fair amount of students entered the field. 

"Because we've got a lot more people trying out this year." Elijah smiled, turning to the students once they had all huddled together. "Firstly, thank you to each and everyone one of you for showing up today. We've got a lot more interest than previous years, and I am assuming that's because our last captain refused to have girls play. Rest assured, we won't be doing that this year. I want the team to be the best it can be. In a second I'll hand everyone either a grey or green shirt. That will be your team for the first round of tryouts, we've got enough people trying out that whatever position you've been aiming for I've managed to accommodate for. I myself won't be playing this first game, I just want to observe, but if anyone wants to make sure I can still play then you'll be pleased to know I have some fun drills arranged for afterwards." Walking around he handed out the shirts and let the two teams split apart and mount their brooms. 

Hoping on his broom he flew above them and blew his whistle, and within seconds the game was set, Elijah watched from above, every now and then he diverted his gaze to look up at the dementors who swooped high above him patrolling the grounds. It made him feel uneasy, but he knew it was just the way it was going to be this year. 

It was a good game from where he was sitting, there was definitely some unfound talents among them. Flying over to where the Weasley twins, Harry and his friends were, he lowered his broom. "Getting scared for the game against us now, little lions?" he smirked, watching as the Alix scored, and grinning to himself a little. 

"Dream on, Potter." George chuckled, though he was a little worried. 

"You just watch for our bludgers, pretty boy." Fred added, his eyes were fixed on Felix and another Slytherin girl, Ivy, who were currently working as a good tag team as two beaters. 

"Hm, we will see." he grinned, also watching the pair work well together. Noting Madam Hooch and Snape talking he flew over to them,  but this time he landed in the stands and approached them. 

"Any thoughts." he asked, looking back to the game. Next to Snape stood Dumbledore, Lupin and McGonagall. 

"It's your team this year, Mr Potter, what do you think?" Madam Hooch replied, her arms crossed over her chest as she watched the game. 

"I think, we have some good talent on the pitch. I'm loving Ivy and Felix as beaters, Jay is great as keeper as always, Alix and Myra as the other two chasers and potentially Draco as seeker, Saffron is giving him a run for his money." he hummed, eyes still on the players. 

"It's nice to see that there will be females on the team this year, Mr Potter." McGonagall pipped up from behind him, "And to see that it will hopefully be a season of clean games." With the last comment Elijah noted her eyes drifting to Snape who simply glared back. 

"You have my word, Professor." he told her, a cheeky smile stretched across his face. He had always hated Flints dirty tactics in pursuit of a simple win.

"I do hope so, it would be a shame to have those scouts arrive just to see you allow your team to cheat." she reminded him, making him raise a brow and turn his head to her.

"I solemnly swear it." he promised.

"Do you know what games the scouts will be at?" Lupin questioned.

"Not a clue, and it doesn't matter.. I'm going to win all of them anyways." he smirked cockily, though he was joking. Kind of. 

As if on cue Draco caught the snitch, and the boy was quickly back on his broom, blowing his whistle to end the game, signalling for them to all gather in the centre of the pitch. Flying into the middle of the circle they had all created. "Good game, everyone. We are going to do a few laps, and then we are going to do some little games in groups of five, every ten minutes I'll switch groups with someone so I can see you all. First to get around the pitch 5 times gets to pick the teams for everyone." he instructed, and at the second blow of his whistle everyone sped off, racing each other around the large oval. 

After running the drills he'd set in place he got everyone to land back onto the ground, beside Madam Hooch who had now entered the field. 

"Well done everyone, great tryouts. You all did brilliantly, and if I could place you all on the team, I would. But the team is as follows; Jayden Avery as Keeper, Alixandra Avery, Myra Greenwood as the other two Chasers, Felix Berkshire and Ivy Hawthorne as our Beaters and Draco Malfoy as our Seeker. If anyone else would like to sign up to be reserves, then please find myself or Madam Hooch this week and we can arrange for you to join practices. Now, please go warm yourselves up and enjoy the rest of your Sunday." he said, following the crowds off the pitch and to the changing rooms.

After a quick shower and getting changed into warmer clothes, Elijah found himself walking through the courtyard when he suddenly felt someone collided with him, strong arms wrapped around him, knocking him to the ground. "What the-" the boy started, feeling a wave of anger wash over him but it vanished as quickly as it came when he saw who it was. "Lucas!" he beamed up at the other who was now pinning him to the ground. Lucas was a tall, dark haired Hufflepuff with grey eyes. 

"Potter." Lucas smirked, climbing off his friend and offering him a hand up. "Sorry, couldn't resist." 

Elijah chuckled, taking the others hand and pulling him into a tight hug when he was finally on his feet. "So.. Want to do our Sunday ritual?"

"You read my mind." The Hufflepuff smiled.

The younger boy led the way to the kitchen where they bribed the house elves for a bag of cookies and then headed up the astronomy tower. Both boys sat looking over the castle grounds, catching up with one another. 

"So.. How was the funeral? I wish I could have been there for you." Elijah mumbled.

"It was ok, I feel as though I got to say goodbye, you know?" Lucas shrugged, "I wish you could have been there, but dad said it was a private funeral, only close family came. It was kind of weird." 

"I'm sorry, Lu.. You know I'm here if you need to talk, right?" Elijah said softly.

"Thanks, Eli." he murmured, turning to the boy, "Distract me. Tell me about you and the quidditch updates." 

Elijah updated Lucas on the quidditch tryouts, being captain and the letters. He'd already told him all this in his letters, but it was different in person. They spoke for hours, until the sun was setting, both of them deciding to head down to the great hall for dinner. Even once they were there Elijah sat with Lucas at the Hufflepuff table.