thirty-three

The day of the battle was approaching, and Sage was not at all enthused. Though the pack kept the number of newborns hidden from her, she could only guess it meant they were severely outnumbered. Seth had been given a job to keep him away from the battlefield, and that alone lifted a weight off her shoulders. The persistent fourteen year old should definitely be staying back with Collin and Brady, but knowing Seth he'd probably find a way to the fight anyway.

Emily had already made a list of things they'd be cleaning while the house was practically empty, which was nightmare fuel to the young teen. Emily wanted to scrub and polish everything, granted neither of them would be able to sleep anyway, but still! Cleaning the bathroom tile grout was not something on Sage's bucket list.

With two days left until the battle she found herself unable to leave Paul's side. She knew the chances of him getting hurt were low, but she also knew his arrogance would be his downfall. The two were cuddling in Sage's bed, both reading The Great Gatsby, though Paul would deny it if asked.

The only sound was their soft breathing and the hum of her fan, followed by the occasional flip of a page as Paul let her know he was done with it. After an hour passed, Sage marked the page and set the book aside before turning to face the boy, who greeted her with a gentle kiss.

"How are you feeling?" Her face softened at his words, on the surface one would think he was asking her thought on the battle, but the events of her maternal discovery were still so recent. She shrugged as his fingers brushed through her hair.

"I'm alright, I guess. I'm actively choosing it ignore it so." He just smiled softly and set his head on the silk pillowcase.

"You know, I'm surprised you didn't kick me out that night."

"I wanted to, but Dr. Crows words wormed their way into my brain." He sent her a confused look.

"In my appointment after the hospital, She told me to stop pushing people away when i got vulnerable, to stop hiding my emotions and acting like a robot." The boy let out a loud, short laugh, causing Sage to hold back a grin as she hit his shoulder. "It's not funny."

"Oh, it's definitely not." The boy had a teasing smirk on his face, causing The brunette to smile.

"I hate you." His jaw dropped, but his eyes gleamed.

"Well thats a little mean considering I love you." Sage froze, her mouth slightly opened as her eyes twinkled. Pauls eyes only widened as he looked at the girl, shooting upright. "Shit!"

He went to get out of the bed, definitely freaking out, but froze as Sage stopped him. "I love you."

The boy looked at her with a goofy grin as he wrapped her in a hug, causing her to squeal. He peppered soft kisses across her face, as if creating his own mini constellation and her cheeks caused her eyes to squint before his lips captured hers. Sure they had made claims of love before, but this one was different, they were mature (ish) now, in it for the long run. This claim spanned more than a silly high school relationship, it reached up to the creator, thanking them for tying the two together, for always finding ways to bring them back.

When Sage and Paul left the girls bed, It was only to go to the diner. Emily and Sam had elected to have a date night, leaving the two teens to fend for themselves. Sage was sitting in a booth at Alison's, staring out the window as Koa cooked their food. Sage smirked as she pictured the man grumbling about the girl's existence.

"What are you thinking about?" Her eyes moved to Paul, her smirk not fading.

"Koa's probably back there cursing my existence. His hate for me keeps me going." The boy snorted as Alison approached them.

"Koa said he hates you." Sage smiled as she perked up, peeking through the window to the kitchen and blew a kiss to the glaring man.

"I hate him too." Alison just laughed as she set their drinks down before turning to another table.

"I will never understand your issue with Alison's cook." Sage just shrugged as she looked back to Paul.

"Koa and I are secretly besties, hating each other is just a fun little game we play." Paul let out a short laugh as the girl turned back to people watching.

Dinner passed in comfortable silence, and Sage managed to convince Alison to let the two eat for free. The two soon found themselves back in Sage's full-sized bed, staring at the ceiling as they listened to each other breathing. Emily and Sam had drunkenly stumbled home hours ago and the clock was nearing 1AM when Sage found herself turning towards Paul, staring at him for a second while the wheels of her brain slowly turned. "Sometimes I want to die."

He turned his head slowly, trying to hid his confusion as he gaze her his full attention. "Like, when I was in the hospital, and even now sometimes. It just gets heavy."

She paused, taking in a shaky breath. "I tend to run in those moments, I like to think I'm saving the people around me from being dragged to the pits of hell. Not running has been the scariest thing I've done lately, but it's also been so easy; Mostly because everyone I talk to is constantly here."

Paul just gently rubbed her arm, his eyes never leaving her face as her glossy eyes danced around the dimly lit room. "I'm probably making absolutely no sense, but it gets so heavy sometimes. Doctor Crow told me opening up to people would make it easier, that it'd make them understand me because they have verbal confirmation that me running means somethings wrong. She also said that running's easy for me because Embry's the only person who never let me leave them behind."

She paused again, her eyes meeting Pauls as she struggled with what to say next, only for the boy to cut her off. "I'm never letting you run again, I'll give you any space you could need but from now on I'll be everywhere you turn."

She flashed a weak smile. "Like my own personal emotional support dog."

Paul just laughed before pushing her head to the pillow. "Go to sleep, you're delusional."

WILLOW SPEAKS!!

when i mention a book, just know i looked at my bookshelf and went eeny meenie miny moe, or else my characters would only ever read Jane Austen, Poe, and The Picture of Dorian Gray

Sage let someone besides Embry into her mind, Who cheered?

recent add on: forgot this existed lowkey... oops this section is 4 chapters from being done and i need to get started on breaking dawn again (i only have like 3 chapters written) and i also need to get back on writing superman and the rest of the series (along with my hp fic)