twenty-three

Sage stared across the table, her head resting on her fist as Paul spoke of something he'd seen online. A soft smile graced her face as his hands moved around, highlighting his every word. Her free hand moved towards her lemon water, her eyes never leaving his face as her lips encased the tip of her straw. The boy paused his sentence and his brows moved together ever so slightly. "What?"

"You talk with your hands way a lot." She smiled widely as she finished her statement, laughing lightly when he gently shook his head before continuing. Their conversation paused when the waitress walked over, her gaze resting on Paul before asking for their order.

"I'll take the shrimp fettuccine." Sage closed her menu as she spoke, handing her menu to the waitress with a barely noticeable smirk. Paul hid his amusement as he placed his order thanking the girl as she nodded and walked off. Once she was out of earshot, Paul let his amusement show as he looked at the brunette.

"Jealous much?"

"Just reminding her that I'm here.
She did nearly leave without asking what I wanted to drink." Paul let out a light laugh as the girls nose scrunched. The two fell into a comfortable silence as Sage turned to people watching, and Paul electing to take in her side profile. The slight bump in her nose that kept it from looking like a ski-slope, the slight darkness where her cheeks hallowed out, the way her lips ever so slightly jutted out. He found himself glad she decided to have Emily pin back her hair.

Sage turned back to Paul with a slight smirk, which he only returned. "Now who's got a staring problem?"

"Not my fault you're so gorgeous." Her smirk turned to a smile as her teeth grabbed the inside of her bottom lip. When no remark left her lips Paul only smirked more. "Have I rendered the great Sage Uley speechless?"

The girl just shrugged as the waitress, Darla, arrived with their food. The two thanked her before beginning to eat. When they were halfway done, Sage let out a small groan causing Paul to look at her confused.

"I still haven't done Peterson's end of year assignment." Pauls eyes widened, letting the girl know he'd forgotten it existed. She let out a light laugh as she looked at him. "I'm guessing when we get back to my house we're cracking open the books."

Paul just nodded at her words as she went back to her plate.

The two left Port Angeles, their faces bright and their stomachs filled. Paul opened Sam's truck door for her causing her to glare lightly as she lifted herself into the passenger seat, ensuring her dress skirt was resting underneath her before allowing him to close the door. As he started the truck she quickly turned on a playlist she'd made for them months ago, when she'd first realized she liked him. He smiled as his right hand found a home on her left thigh, listening as she sung along off key.

"You're a terrible singer." She laughed lightly and continued singing as she playfully slapped his chest causing him to mutter a pretend ow. "Right on the heart."

"Wrong side of your chest, dumbass." Paul just flashed her a dorky smiled causing her to laugh and shake her head as she looked out the window. She watched the world disappear behind her as Paul drives straight towards the Uley residence, stealing occasional glances at the girl.

They later find themselves dressed comfortably and laying in her bed, their english assignment causing Paul's face to scrunch as Sage breezes through it. "I will never understand Shakespeare."

"I dont think anyone does." Pauls brows scrunch as he looks at the complete set of Poe's works and Jane Austen's stories.

"You understand them, you cant talk." Sage feigned an offended look as she set her essay aside.

"Poe and Austen are completely different than Shakespeare." Her voice raised an octave as she stared at his amused face.

"They all speak that old timey language." Sage snorted lightly as her head rested on his chest.

"They are old timey authors." Sage pulled his computer towards her, reading through what he had written glancing at Macbeth every so often. "What's confusing you? This is near perfect."

Paul just smirked as he gazed at her concentrated face. "I just wanted you're attention."

Sage scoffed and lifted her head up staring down at the boy. "You're so needy."

Paul just shrugged as he pulled her back onto his chest, his hands running through her hair. As the clock neared midnight. Emily opened her door with an amused face as she set a snack on her bed.

"Sam would probably throw a fit if he saw this." Sage just smiled as she shrugged, looking at Emily innocently.

"We had a essay to finish. We're just prioritizing good grades." Emily just shook her head as she walked back to the door.

"Don't stay up too late." the teens just nodded as Emily closed the door, a yawn escaping Sage's lips.

"I still have another 200 words to get through."

"I still have," Paul quickly glanced at his screen before doing mental math. "Like 300. How are you ahead of me?"

"You keep getting distracted." Sage smirked as she rested her computer on her stomach, going back to typing as quickly as she could.

The two were woken up by a pillow being thrown at their faces, causing Sage to glare towards her door with blurry vision.

"Sam should start doing bed checks, Who knows what these crazy kids got up to." The sound of Jareds loud voice caused Sage to groan as she pulled the pillow over her head, only for her to throw it at the door once Embry's laugh sounded. Paul simultaneously threw one of the books towards the boys causing Embry to mutter about destruction of school property.

"Embry, Jared. I will casturate you two in about ten seconds. Get out."

The door slammed as the two boys rushed from her door, causing her to smile lightly as she sat up, taking in the scattered blanket and school work that had fallen off the bed. "Paul, my room's a mess."

The boy groaned as he looked around, before beginning to move his stuff into a pile. "We should head downstairs before they send Sam up under the idea we did something."

Sage's eyes widened as she shot out of bed, ignoring Paul's laughter as she quickly exited her room. As she sat down at the table, Paul had began walking downstairs causing her to look at Sam as he looked between the two with wide eyes. Jared and Embry snickered and the rest of the pack walked in confused while Emily just held an amused smirk.

"Lahote, I swear," Sam cut himself off as he looked between the two, watching as Sage sunk in her seat.

"Sam, we had an essay to finish. We just fell asleep, I swear." The rest of the people quickly caught up and laughed as Sam's eyes narrowed when Paul sat beside Sage, throwing an arm around her chair.

"Im watching you, Lahote. Like a hawk." The boy raised his free hand in surrender as Emily began moving food towards the table.

"I can't believe Peterson got you guys in trouble." Embry was laughing as he spoke, reaching his hand out for the five dollar bill Jared was handing him. Sage glared at the boy and tossed a muffin at him, her face hardening when he caught it.

"I hate you."

"You love me, Gigi." The Call boy blew her a kiss and winked before beginning to set food on his plate.