thirteen

When Sage was younger, she never spoke english. She would run around the reservation saying Kwaiya when she wanted water, or counted only in Quillayute. She was proud of her culture, proud of how much her ancestors persevered. Not that shes no longer proud of it, it's just that as she aged, she got tired of the looks from stuck up white people. The look they give anyone who doesn't speak english or look like them. Those same people were often found in Alison Uley's diner, supporting a native business while sending dirty looks to those speaking the language.

When Sage spotted them staring at an elder with disgust as they whispered amongst themselves, she quickly walked over to him. "Uncle Kosumi! Ayásocha?"

The frail old man was one of the few who used the language in his daily life, leading many to only speak to him in it. The two held the conversation, Sage glancing at the judgemental individuals as they spoke, listening intently as Kosumi told her a story she'd heard a million times about when his father took him Seal hunting. Eventually Alison walked to the counter and smirked as she caught on to what Sage was doing, the young girls conversation ended when the mans food was brought to him, and she quickly turned towards Alison. "Are they still glaring at me?"

"oh they definitely are, Im debating kicking them out."

"You should, they were definitely talking about Kosumi when i walked in. After all he was the only one initiating conversations that weren't in english." Alison looked at the couple before rolling her eyes and looking back to Sage.

"Absolute idiots. you want your usual?"

"Nah, im going watch the boys jump off a cliff, they're outside waiting. Just two shakes. Emily packed a buffet for me." Alison nodded and smiled as she walked away. Two second later Sam walked through the door, in just his shorts and shoes since none of the boys bothered to bring a shirt.

"Sage you said you'd take 2 minutes. Its been 10."

"Not my fault im her favorite." Alison peeked her head out the door and sent Sam a stern look.

"Sam honey, dont listen to her i dont have favorites. Now that I've said that i can tell you to get out."

"What did I do!" Sage snorted as she pointed to the sign Alison out up just for him.

"No shirt loser."

"yea i deserved that, 3 more minutes or im leaving you." Sam looked between Alison and Sage before shaking his head and walking out.

"Alison you need to get that boy of yours under control, talking to dear little Sage like that." Sage turned to a table filled with Aunties and smiled at them. Sage was definitely a favorite with the adults.

"Sage sweetie, are you dating anyone, My grandson is single." Auntie Iris smiled and raised her brows at the young girl as Harper lightly hit her arm.

"Now Iris you know Donovan isn't the poor girls type, besides she's hanging out with Paul again, we all know whats coming." Sages jaw dropped and she heard Alison laugh from behind the counter.

"Im not that predictable am i?" Joy gave the girl a humored look as she held back a smile.

"Sage, you know i love you, but we've seen it happen before, we all know its gonna happen again. You two are like moths to a flame. Plus we all know who that second milkshakes for." Sage scoffed as Alison handed her the two milkshakes.

"I love you guys i really do, but right now you aren't my favorite people." Sage smiled as the women laughed and took that as her cue to leave immediately jumping into Sam's truck. Embry looked at her with offense as she handed the spare shake.