Chapter 37: Dear Love Sworn But Hollow Perjury

This chapter is brought to you by 火炎 (Fire) by QUEEN BEE.

---

Part VI

---

Having to deal with the fallout that was Tobus Arcadia breaking into the Monttevi Compound in the middle of the night and knocking out all the guards in pursuit of him as he carved a path littered with the bodies of Monttevi men was not exactly the sort of thing Eartha had to face. 

According to eye-witness testimonies, Tobus had kidnapped Rowan Monttevi during his evening meal with his family and proceeded to jump out of a window in his escape, disappearing into the night. 

Rowan's protector was, unfortunately, a step too late in giving chase and lost sight of Tobus after thirty minutes of searching. 

Lord Monttevi was incensed. Lady Monttevi cried her eyes out. 

The Chambers of Tower of Truth was thrown into chaos as Lord Calypto and Lord Monttevi both appeared in Lord Eartha's office.

"Eartha! My nephew is missing--"

"Eartha! Valerius' nephew kidnapped my son!" 

The two men froze and then slowly to each other. 

"You!" They both pointed their fingers at one another. 

Atilo Monttevi scowled viciously at Valerius. 

"I should have known your underhanded tricks caused this mess."

"Me?! Tobus wouldn't have run off if not for the fact that Jovette mentioned your son!" 

The other man scoffed. "So it's about the engagement, is it? Here I thought you weren't particularly fond of incest. Betrothing your own daughter to your nephew is truly most impressive." 

Eartha brought his hands to his face. 

Of course, the engagement rumors. That must have started all of this nonsense. 

Valerius looked like he was about to explore. "There is no betrothing of anything, good sir! Have you not heard a word of what I just said?! Your son seduced my daughter!"

Atilo took a second too long before he finally understood Valerius' words. 

"What?!"

"It's your son's fault--"

"Rowan, that stupid boy! First Lady Rasamund and now... I feel faint..." 

Atilo looked two shades paler as he slowly sat down on Eartha's sofa. 

Valerius rolled his eyes. 

"We can discuss this after," he hissed, glaring daggers at Atilo. His gaze landed on Eartha, next.

Eartha was the city lord, but even he would quail under Valerius' vermillion eyes. 

Valerius was slow to anger. At the moment, he was merely frustrated by the situation, but Eartha had seen what he could do on the battlefield. 

"We need to find my nephew. I can assure you that if Atilo's fool son is as smart as everyone claims he is, he will cry and continue to do so until rescue is underway."

The fact that Valerius had to pin the world "rescue" rather than "retrieve" did not make Eartha feel any better about this stunt Tobus decided to pull.

Atilo will demand he be punished, and neither Valerius nor Eartha can protect him from the consequences.