Chapter 16: Talk of Peace

This chapter is brought to you by Demons by Alec Benjamin. 

---

When Rasa heard what about during her cousin's first officially sanctioned mission and saw the two new kiddies following after him like lost kittens, she burst out laughing on the spot and wouldn't stop.

Tobus stared at her with a gloomy frown, but she couldn't help herself.

The first serious mission he took as a Vesna agent and he came back with two more children. It was hilarious! 

Rasa's initiation into the Saintly Sisters happened a year ago, and while she was technically also considered a Vesna agent, she was not approved for imperial-sanctioned missions, yet. 

"Hey, where are you going?" Rasa asked, catching up to Tobus and his hoard of kiddies and cats. 

"Out. Kittens wanted to play."

She noticed the little boy he brought back, Puck, in his arms, and standing beside him, her other cousin, Jovette, was pouting. 

Tobus might have noticed her frustration because he also picked her up and let her ride on his back. 

Ophelia was a year older than Jovette and seemed to have integrated herself nicely with Duri and Tess. She didn't seem to be bothered by the new environment, Rasa observed, which was good.

It seemed Jovette's true rival was Puck. 

Rasa followed the group out, teasing Tobus the entire way to the city square. 

"Kitty!" a shout rang out. 

In sync, they turned they turned their heads and saw Rowan Monttevi running toward them. 

Behind him, Rasa noticed Belwyn Monttevi chasing his cousin furiously, expression set with deadly focus, and behind him, was Mercury Stella, skipping after him with a grin. 

Oh, dear. 

"Puppies," she heard Tobus say. 

The Monttevi Heir answered with another loud "Kitty!"

He pounced on the swarm of cats and was soon smothered underneath fluff. 

Rasa crossed her arms and shook her head. 

It seemed no one had told the brat about keeping distance. She and Tobus had already killed, and therefore, were considered full-fledged adults, in the eyes of the city. 

The rivalry of their house now rested on their shoulders, or more specifically, rested on Tobus'. 

If the honor of House Calypto was ever challenged or questioned, he would be the first to fight. 

Not that she had seen him in action, yet. 

Tobus had been running back-to-back missions for the last two years in order to get that fancy new coat of his that indicated he was "The Distinguished Protector of the House Heir."

Well now...

Rasa saw a familiar coat in Monttevi blue resting on Belwyn's shoulder. The claymore on his back seemed even more prominent, now. 

Did Tobus even realize this?

By the blank look in those eyes, as Belwyn approached, it didn't seem like he cared. 

The crowded streets of the city square seemed to have gone quiet as people started to take notice of two Heir Protectors facing one another. 

---