Chapter 36: O, The Blood Is Spilled

The chapter is brought to you by マカロニ (Marcaroni) by Perfume.

---

A few days after the "duel that was not a duel" between Tobus and Rowan, an air of animosity remained between the Calyptos and the Monttevis.

Lord Monttevi was unhappy with Tobus pointing a blade at his one and only child and heir. He was even more so when he found out the man had driven Rowan to tears in the middle of the city square.

Even after Tobus ended up being the person to comfort his crying teenage son--which was weird, by the way, like what the hell?--made him no less willing to forgive the offense.

"Tobus!"

Another day, another brawl fueled with a little more resentment than usual broke out in the city.

The ground was littered with the bodies of fallen mercenaries dressed in Calypto red and Monttevi blue.

They were all breathing and alive, just unconscious and bruised.

A few of the more aggressive offenders earned themselves a few cuts here and there, and their coats and shirts were absolutely shredded beyond repair.

At the very center of this mess stood Tobus, who was frowning at the display of patheticness around him.

Belwyn Monttevi was once again a step too late in stopping his beating spree.

Some of the men on the ground wished he could be a little more faster in containing Tobus' violent brand of peacekeeping instead of daydreaming about the man.

"... Again?" Belwyn was more dismayed than panicked at the sight of a pile of unconscious bodies in front of him.

Tobus sheathed his daggers and brushed off nonexistent dust out of his coat. He didn't have a single hair out of place as he calmly walked pass the bodies.

He came upon two of them and picked them up by the back of their coats. He hauled one over his shoulder and carried another in his arms.

"Kittens," Tobus explained with a blank face.

Belwyn looked at the two in pity.

Tobus walked away, leaving Belwyn to deal with the rest.

---

Valerius stormed into the Elder Council with barely repressed killing intent.

He slammed the door shut and slapped the offending paper on a desk before the elders.

"What is the meaning of this?" he demanded.

Elder Grem blinked his squinty eyes. His overall appearance was not unlike that of a snapping turtle.

"Huh?" he croaked. "A little louder, boy! Too blind to read your lips!"

No one would ever believe these were the same men and women in charge of forty-five percent of the decision-making process in House Calypto.

"You engaged my daughter to my nephew!" Valerius shouted.

It was Elder Hort, who had better eyesight than most in the Elder Council, who calmly nodded. "Yes."

Valerius took a deep breath. "Why?" he gritted out.

"The boy does not have Calypto blood in his veins, but he is a valuable asset. Putting him with your daughter will strengthen the bloodline."

"They're cousins!"

"Ah," Elder Meer smiled as if she had discovered a scientific breakthrough worthy of an Imperial Honor, "But his father is half-brother to your wife."