Chapter 28: Vile Forfeit Of Untimely Death

This chapter is brought to you by Born Ready by Dove Cameron. 

---

"Your wig is falling off."

Jovette gasped and instinctively reached for her hair.

Nine clicked his tongue and adjusted it for her. He was careful not to accidentally smear the makeup she meticulously spent three hours putting on for her disguise. 

"You have improved," he said. 

Jovette was nearly unrecognizable. If not for the fact that he had raised her since she was four, he would not have known it was her. 

She batted her eyes at him, emerald green having changed to vermillion red to hide her true identity. 

"I should hope so. Ophelia had a hand in helping me with the color charm."

"It was good enough to trick the puppy." 

"Only Rowan?"  

Nine shrugged. The rest of them were experienced agents. It would have disappointed Lord Eartha if they couldn't see through Jovette's disguise. 

They were in a private room designated to receive their gear. 

Belwyn and Mercury had taken Rowan to get his in another area. 

"Put this on," Nine handed Jovette a uniform that was similar to his and turned around to give her some privacy. 

"Are we not getting into our costumes?" she asked. 

"You will receive them at the third checkpoint. Put the hood on." 

He heard some shuffling behind him. 

A few minutes later, Jovette was finished. 

"You can turn around." 

Nine did as he was told. 

Wearing the uniform, it was difficult to tell if Jovette was a man or a woman. 

"Fits?" Nine asked. 

Jovette cocked her head from side to side. 

"I think so. Not too tight, but not too loose. These pants are nice." 

"Thermal charm. You won't get cold," Nine explained. 

"Nice." 

She threw her wig at him and he caught it without thinking. 

Nine stared at it confusingly for a moment. 

"It keeps falling off."

It seemed they would need to look for better wigs in the future. 

Thankfully, Jovette was going as a woman for this mission. 

---

They met up with Venus on their way to Lord Eartha's office. 

When he saw them, he smiled tightly and handed them their Tower-issued daggers. 

"Are you alright?" Nine asked.

Lord Eartha had pulled him aside a few days ago to tell him about Pluto replacing Venus, but he hadn't had a chance to speak to Venus about it.

Venus being replaced wasn't exactly a horrible thing. 

The reason Pluto was taking over for him was because he was about to be promoted to the role of Director for the Research and Development department. 

Venus wasn't only a gifted handler, but his mind was sharp and he was intelligent. As a prodigy of the mystic arts with a photographic memory, he was a competitive candidate for the role of Director.