5. Build a Setting that Provides Themes and Motivations

We've discussed the term "motivations" a few times now, but we haven't discussed how to come up with ideas for a crime's motives—murder or not.

Let's discuss how themes and motivations can emerge from the setting in tip number five.

There are several general types of motivations, including self-preservation, sex, love, money, envy, and retribution. You weave together a web of possible characters and motivations when you select your scenario.

Suddenly, you have possibilities for the victim, manner of death, suspects, conflicts, and themes if the novel is situated in a beach town. It is possible that the victim was a lifeguard who perished in the sea. One possible suspect could be a summertime visitor. The setting for the final scene could be a lighthouse.

The story's backdrop is the coastal town, which also has an impact on the ideas and reasons that emerge. The fact that the victim was a lifeguard who perished in the sea, for example, could highlight themes of peril and the erratic power of nature. The summertime visitor suspect might introduce themes of outsiders and distrust in a close-knit society. Lastly, the final scene, which takes place in a lighthouse, may represent discovery and lighting, giving the story more depth. Restrictions stimulate originality. The Hell University is a secret school where students are free to murder one another, and I really liked how cohesive the theme was throughout. Within the confines of the school, students are taught to make informed decisions that benefit both themselves and their friends. There are certain societal conflicts in this context.

After you have a setting in mind, make a list of potential social dynamics. You may delve into the complex history and social dynamics of small villages. What are the various social hierarchies involved in institutional settings such as hospitals? There are homeowner associations and school boards at the neighborhood or school level as well, which could lead to drama.

Workplaces have their own distinct social dynamics in addition to these environments; office politics and power battles are frequent occurrences. In addition, conflicting interests and diverse personalities can lead to complicated dynamics and tensions within families.

Consider microcosms with lots of interpersonal complications and conflicts.

Interethnic or socioeconomic conflicts can arise in metropolitan districts due to the wide mix of cultures and origins. Tensions can also be exacerbated in schools by the need to follow specific social norms, which can result in bullying and exclusion. Secrets and covert rivalry flourish in close-knit communities, such gated communities or religious organizations, where people who stray from the norm may face harsh scrutiny and condemnation. 

Urban communities can serve as an engrossing backdrop for compelling stories of love, treachery, and redemption because of these intricate social interactions. Readers and spectators alike can be enthralled by the intricate web of relationships and power dynamics, which can be seen in the intense rivalry between neighbors and schools as well as the simmering tensions on the streets. Examining the intricacies of these social dynamics helps us understand the difficulties that people experience, but it also acts as a mirror for society, encouraging us to consider our own biases and seek to create a more accepting and peaceful world.