3. Select a Character who has a Strong Desire to Learn More.

Another factor contributing to the suspense is the main character's personal interest in the mystery's resolution. And here's where the third piece of advice is useful:

When the protagonist is personally motivated to solve the problem and has a connection to the crime, the stakes are significantly higher. This typically indicates that they have some sort of relationship with the victim, such as being lovers, ex-lovers, parents, siblings, neighbors, coworkers, friends or classmates. The protagonist's goal is sometimes to clear their own name because they are one of the suspects in the crime. 

A motivator could also come from the main character's line of work, particularly if they are a journalist or law enforcement official. Since those character archetypes are stereotypically "nosy," it makes sense that they would be involved. 

It can be tricky to strike a balance because too much information can make things uninteresting, but too little knowledge might make people uninterested in learning the solutions, which also affects the reader. 

This is partly why authors find it so intriguing when outsiders relocate to a new area or return home. Compared to someone who has lived in the town their entire life, the character needs to understand a lot more about the residents and the local drama. 

Take Gillian Flynn's book, Sharp Objects. Reporter Camille, the main character, goes back to her tiny hometown to write about an unsolved murder.

Her difficult relationship with her family and her work as a reporter both serve as sources of motivation for her quest to learn the truth. The thrillers where the protagonist kind of loses himself are my favorites. It feels as though it is pulling at the readers' emotions and guts. Unavoidably, messy, flawed personalities endanger themselves in the process of finding solutions. They make mistakes, turn their allies against them, and put their trust in the wrong person. 

Good thrillers don't have boring characters, and you shouldn't be scared to do horrible things to your characters. This is seen in Paula Hawkins "The Girl on the Train," whose protagonist battles alcoholism. She becomes an untrustworthy witness as a result of getting herself into risky circumstances.

A certain amount of pathos is necessary for your protagonist—a gloom, a desire, or something that gives them a somewhat insane appearance. They are either initially drawn to the mystery because they are that way, or by the end, they have been somewhat corrupted or wrecked. Something has to be brewing beneath the surface—something sour about the main character that gives you the willies. 

Characters with secrets, motives, or personal grievances tend to be the most captivating. In Pretty Dead Queens by Alexa Donne, her main character, Cecilia, witnessed her mother's death, which affected her deeply. She became this morbid, jaded person who is both captivated and repulsed by death as a result of her sadness.

According to Alexa Donne, she gave Cecilia a knife edge because, although she's a kind person, her fixation on finding the killer is unhealthy. Alexa doesn't think she's capable of writing about regular people, but there is an alternate universe where a much better, more conventional main character could have written The Ivies. Some intensity is what she prefers, and so do I. Though less engaging, it would still function. The book explores the topic of toxic friendships and how they can either positively or negatively alter a person. Had Olivia, the primary character, been a nice, normal person, the story would have become a morality tale along the lines of, "Oh, here's this poor, nice girl being hoodwinked by these mean people."

It's hardly practical to hang out with mean girls unless you too possess darker traits, to some extent. And a juicy thriller would be an interesting place to explore that. It's always a good idea to give your main character a vice, a secret, or a peeve. 

A secret, a vice, or a pecuniary grudge gives the protagonist more complexity, which gives the narrative depth and interest. It makes their metamorphosis or downfall more credible and enables a more realistic representation of their encounters with the cruel girls. 

Olivia's darker sides are explored, making the thriller more compelling as it explores the intricacies of human nature and the decisions we make. As the story unfolds, Olivia's secret past begins to unravel, revealing a web of deceit and betrayal that adds an extra layer of suspense to the thriller. Her struggle to confront her demons and make amends for her past actions adds a sense of redemption and growth to her character, making the readers emotionally invested in her journey.