3. Impossible Odds

The impossible odds are fairly straightforward. Even when it is evident that the hero is going to succeed, you want your audience to believe that the hero will fail

We must have faith that something will go wrong for the hero and that he or she will never be able to equal the villain, even though it seems clear that there will be a happy ending.

One of the best ways to achieve this is by having your villain be this extremely scary and effective person. When the hero eventually defeats the villain, it will have an even greater impact if you can convince your audience that the enemy is unbeatable and convince them of it.

According to Neil Turner, a Canadian thriller and suspense novelist who wrote a blog article entitled "The Best Thrillers About Underdogs Overcoming Impossible Odds," in his article, he reviewed tons of thriller books that have these impossible odds.

What's the catch? Here's why:

According to his review of Greg Iles' book The Quiet Game. The story introduces a troubled Penn Cage, who returns with his daughter to Natchez, Mississippi, when his father gets into trouble. For Penn, family is sacrosanct. Iles uses Natchez brilliantly to support characterization, atmosphere, and plot. Events unfold quickly in a series of twists and turns that thrill the reader and severely test Penn as he struggles to unearth his family roots. Even when it would be more practical to disregard it, he adheres to his moral compass.

Even though I haven't finished the book yet and am only halfway through, I find the plot to be very predictable. Penn will experience difficulty, and as a result, he will succeed in the end. But how can he overcome those difficulties? I couldn't stop turning the page because of that. I'm excited for more because the author has piqued my curiosity.

Another sample book that depicts these impossible odds is To Kill a Mockingbird. In Neil's opinion, it is still the greatest of the group and set the stage for all succeeding legal thrillers. For a novel, court is a naturally rich source of drama and conflict, but the excitement can occasionally be lost in page after page of boring judicial details. To Kill a Mockingbird stays clear of this blunder. Although the story includes courtroom scenes, it is really a coming-of-age drama and a morality tale about challenging systemic injustice at tremendous personal sacrifice. This strikes a chord in my soul because of its character and purpose integrity. This, I believe, is what has given the book its remarkably long shelf life.

Are you planning to add this tip to your novel? 

Will it be helpful in building stress and excitement for the readers? 

There's only one way to find out. Happy writing!