Forgiving But Never Forgetting

"How's your anxiety today, Lisa?" Dr. Conners asks. She leans back in her chair and studies Lisa.

Lisa's been seeing her since her deposition, after officially being discharged from the military she'd been diagnosed as disabled due to her injuries and severe PTSD. They have her on some anxiety medication and Dr. Conners has been teaching her different techniques to help get her out of a flashback and not let it take over the rest of her day. Dr. Conners has also been teaching Jennie what to do when Lisa is sleep walking. So far Lisa thinks it's been going well, things have definitely improved from where they were.

"Um, well I was with Jennie getting some coffee down the street at Grind and a car backfired. It sent me into a flashback of one of the battles I was in. When I came to, I was cowering underneath a table and Jennie was trying to coax me out. I feel on edge now." Lisa admits.

The flashbacks have been happening more during the day as she ventures out of the house more. It's caused the town and neighbors to gossip. So much so that Aden came home with a busted lip and black eye one evening. Lisa had secretly stayed outside Aden's bedroom door as Jennie had talked to him about what happened. According to Aden, when he had been at the baseball field hanging out with Mia and some other friends, a couple of kids came by and started talking crap. One of them then called Lisa crazy and psycho which caused Aden to hit him in the face, which in turn started a brawl. Lisa felt terrible for the rest of the night.

"Why do you feel on edge? Are the images still playing back?" Dr. Conners asks. Lisa shakes her head.

"No. No they aren't still there or lingering. I just... I hate this. I'm on edge because i'm constantly waiting for the next car to backfire, or someone to say something in Trigdesleng, or hand me a piece of plywood to hold on to. I'm trying to go out more like you told me to do, but every time I do, i'm sent into a flashback and I embarrass my family. The entire town now thinks i'm nuts and my kid is getting into fist fights because of it." Lisa tells her.

Dr. Conners studies Lisa for a moment. She then begins to stand and moves towards her door. She opens it a crack and sticks her head out.

"Jennie? Can you come in here please?" She asks.

Lisa sighs, this definitely wasn't an uncommon occurrence. Whenever Lisa expresses her insecurities regarding her family, Dr. Conners makes Jennie come in and reassure her. At this point, Lisa thinks Jennie might as well just sit in for the whole session.

Jennie walks in and gives Lisa a warm smile before taking a seat next to her on the couch. She grabs ahold of Lisa's hand and squeezes gently as Dr. Conners makes her way back to sit in her chair.

"Tell Jennie what you just told me." Dr. Conners states.

Lisa hesitates as she sees Jennie's head turn into her direction. Lisa sighs but doesn't look at Jennie when she speaks.

"I'm on edge constantly..."

Dr. Conners cuts her off.

"Don't look at the ground, you need to make eye contact with her. Look at her and start again." Dr. Conners instructs.

Lisa slightly glares at her but does as she's told. She looks at Jennie and she gives her a reassuring small smile and an encouraging nod to continue. Lisa swallows.

"I'm on edge constantly. Every time we go out of the house, something happens and i'm sent into a flashback and I don't know what i'm doing. I know i'm embarrassing you and Aden and Lia. And I know what everyone is saying about me, that i'm 'nuts' and I know why Aden got into that fist fight a few days ago." Lisa finishes. Jennie's smile drops and she squeezes Lisa's hand