A Reckoning Of Sorts

Dear Major General Marcus Kane,
My name is Jennie Manoban. Months ago, I had received a letter from a man in uniform informing me of my late wife's death in the midst of battle. Signed at the bottom was your name and I don't really know who I should contact with my concerns, so I am contacting you. My wife, Private Lalisa Manoban, had been killed in action on March 12, 2026. They did not have much information at the time, other than she was killed on that date. Since, we haven't received much information regarding her untimely death and that concerns me. We were informed that her body hadn't been blown up when we received her dog tags but other than that, I have not gotten any other information from the Army. I have not received any of the items I know were on her person, or things that I know were in her living quarters. Having gone to group therapy with others who have lost their loved one, it has occurred to me that this is an unusual practice for the United States military in general. I would love for you to contact me at your earliest convenience so we may discuss my concerns and you may help me understand the lack of information given.

Regards,

Jennie Manoban

Jennie studies what she wrote, it sounds good to her. She hopes he contacts her and will help straighten out her muddled brain. If Lisa is alive, they could probably send a team in and rescue her. Jennie knows deep down it may be foolish to have her hopes up, but she can't help it. Ever since Daniel McIntyre had been wrongly mistaken as KIA, she can't help but feel maybe that's what is going on. Lisa might just be lost. She decides she's keeping her sleuthing to herself, not telling her father or even her therapist. She wants to do this on her own and get some answers. She's also afraid that they will try and talk her out of it. She moves to seal the letter into the envelope to mail to Washington D.C. and expects that he will receive the letter in a day or so. She puts the stamp on and walks past the living room where Aden and Lia are cuddled up together, watching some kids program. Jennie smiles at the two, Aden holding her close as Lia's eyes watch the screen intently. She quietly exits the house, walks down to the end of their driveway and puts the letter into the mailbox, raising the flag in the process. She walks back into the house and makes her way to sit with her kids. She picks Lia up from Aden's lap before sitting down next to him. Quietly, they watch the kids program together.

Jennie can't help but feel, almost giddy at the prospect that her wife could be out there. Maybe that's why it never felt real to her. Why she couldn't make heads or tails of it. Deep down, a little voice in her brain is telling her to not get her hopes up...

"Mom?" Aden breaks her from her thoughts. Jennie turns to look at him.

"What? Sorry, got lost in my thoughts. What is it bud?" Jennie smiles at him.

"I just asked what time we're gonna leave for football practice?" Aden asks, turning his attention back to the television. Jennie looks towards the wall with the clock and checks the time. She didn't realize she spent almost two hours writing and re-writing that letter in the kitchen.

"In a little over an hour. So go get your things and get dressed in the new practice uniform I got, the other one is washing." Jennie tells him. He continues watching the television. Jennie rolls her eyes and then stands with Lia, putting her on her hip. She stands in front of Aden with her free hand extended. "Come on monkey butt, let's go!" Jennie says. Aden huffs but a smile is on his lips as he lets Jennie pull him up. He marches upstairs to his room and Jennie takes herself and Lia into the kitchen. They start getting together snacks and gatorade for his practice, once they're done, Jennie decides to practice helping Lia walk. She sits her down on the floor and picks up just her arms, making her stand. Jennie then keeps ahold of her as they try walking, Jennie coos at her and praises her as she giggles. She can stand now using something to get up, it's crazy to Jennie how fast she's learning and growing.