[30] MORE THAN WORDS

"SOMEHOW," MY MUM was musing as she regarded us over the dining table, "I always somewhat saw this coming."

  I didn't look her in the eye, too busy furiously blushing as I glanced down at my lap. But Orion reached over and squeezed my hand under the table, flashing my mum a brilliant smile. "Well, you must have the power of precognition, Auntie."

  "Ha! No, I am just old and have seen too much. Well, I don't know what you see in my little Yam-yuet, but I am not going to complain."

  "Oh please," Auntie Ip huffed. "What he sees in Yam-yuet? You should be asking what Yam-yuet sees in him? Yam-yuet! What did this silly boy say to you to make you agree to this?"

  "Auntie..." My face still felt red when I looked up, and besides me, Orion let out a laugh.

  "Ma, don't speak so lowly of me."

  "Aiya, stop harassing them—when did you two start liking each other anyways?" my father asked, eyes narrowing. "Why weren't any of us told?"

  Orion looked amused. "I started liking her after she came to university, Uncle. It had been so long and she'd grown so pretty and sweet... Salome, on the other hand..."

  I squeezed my eyes shut. Opened them again. "I've had a crush on him since I was five."

  Somehow, not a single one of them looked even mildly surprised. My mum shrugged. "Honestly, I saw that one. I just didn't think it would stick with you for so long. I always thought you would grow out of it, you know?"

  "Well," Orion said with a smile, "I'm thankful she didn't."

  "Well, at least he finally has a girlfriend," Uncle Ip remarked. "Yam-yuet, dear, if he's ever bad to you, tell me and I'll beat him up."

  "I don't think that's necessary." I paused for a moment, tilting my head. "I can do it myself, Uncle."

  "Of course you can," he beamed. "And feel free to."

  "Excuse me?" Orion asked, blinking.

  "But I won't. I trust him."

  Auntie Ip shook her head. "Ah... young love. And tsing mui zhuk ma too! Childhood friends to lovers! Isn't it absolutely wonderful? They could make TV shows over this. I'm pretty sure they have, I swear I've watched some Chinese dramas just like this one..."

  "Well," I murmured, "I think it was a bit less dramatic than that."

  "It was dramatic enough," he remarked, glancing at me. Leaning into my ear and in a volume only I could hear, he whispered, "Almost thought I'd lost my chance completely, you know."

  "Aiya, the little couple have their own little secrets to talk about. Eat! Eat the food before it's cold, aiya." Auntie Ip waved her hand in the air and with laughter, we all began to dig in once more.

  We didn't immediately go home afterwards. Instead, we headed to the garden in our estate, at the roof of the mall, taking our seats on one of the benches lying around. I laid my head on his shoulders and he wrapped one hand around me.

  "Happy one month anniversary," I whispered.

  Orion glanced down at me, amused. "I didn't think you cared about these things."

  "I don't," I told him honestly, "I was just looking at my calendar today and it reminded me."

  "One month, huh?"

  "Yep."

  "The first of many."

  We'd gone home for the Easter holidays, of course, which was why we were here now. And we both agreed we should just tell our parents, because we didn't think we'd be able to hide it well anyways. They were usually too perceptive for their own good.