[26] FIRST DATES

HE HADN'T LIED about taking me out for brunch. A twenty minute bus ride later, we were in an area of town I hadn't spent much time in. As he led me into a series of streets and alleys, I was honestly beginning to wonder if we were lost until we finally stopped before a stone archway and a path leading down into what seemed like a garden.

  "Found this place on Instagram," he told me, scratching his neck. "Thought you might like it."

  "It's a...?"

  "A cafe. But it's like... a secret garden kind of cafe. And I don't think a lot of people know about it. It's kind of confusing getting here, but I think that adds to the charm."

  "You seemed to know the way."

  "I scouted it out beforehand." He offered me a little grin. "Wanted to be prepared, you know."

  "Didn't realise you were that kind of person."

  "Learnt it from you. And I didn't want to spend half our time trying to find the restaurant."

  He led me through. A few words with the waiter and we were led to a table near the window, surrounded by tall greenery and delicate flowers. There were few people in the cafe, mostly couples. There was a Valentine's Day special on the menu, but I made a point of ignoring it as I went for the regular menu instead.

  He watched me do that, half-amused, and then plucked the Valentine's Day special menu out of where it stood, inspecting it. "It's cheaper to order this."

  Both of us were playing little games here, and it was both extremely obvious to the other. But neither of us wanted to call the other out. Not yet.

  "I think I'll have the egg and bacon croissant," I murmured, flipping through the menu. "And have two macarons. The raspberry one and the pistachio one."

  "You can order that in the Valentine's Day special and it's cheaper."

  I raised my head, meeting his eyes. "Is that the only reason you want to order from the Valentine's Day menu, Orion?"

  Instead of answering, he let out a laugh, shaking his head. "Egg and bacon croissant with two macarons. Fine. I will have the smoked salmon sandwich with the lemon cheese cake. Both of which are on the Valentine's Day menu, and thus we save around two pounds."

  "Wow," I mocked. "Astonishing."

  "I know. Saving money like the good Asians we are."

  "Just wow, Orion."

  He gave me a little wink—and for the love of god, he was wearing those glasses again—before motioning for a waiter to come and take our order. The waitress who came looked like she was from Hong Kong, a dark-haired, pretty-looking girl who I felt like I'd seen somewhere before, but could not put a name to, or name where I'd seen her.

  When she'd taken our orders, she seemed to notice my furrowed brows and she offered me a smile. "I've seen you around before. One of the Politics first years?"

  "Uh, yeah." I flashed a grin. "Politics and International Relations."

  She nodded knowingly. "That's why. I do PPE."

  "Jesus Christ," I muttered. "I wanted to do that, but I didn't think I'd get in."

  Orion tilted his head. "Which year are you in?"

  The girl turned to him. "Second. Oh, I've heard of you. You're one of... well, you're my friend's friend's friend's. Have you ever heard of Audrey Chan?"