001

Coriolanus Snow sits at the end of a large spruce table, a long red table cloth laid on top with a feast made fit for a king sat untouched until the family around him had finished their prayers

It was the same every night at exactly 6:30pm, they'd sit in silence around the table, and every night it was as if Strabo Plinth analysed Snow's every move, watching as his wife hummed a quick prayer for their son's safety in heaven.

Coriolanus never feared, only accepted. He knew the way the Plinth family wanted him to act, so at the right moments he'd appear soft and ridden with grief over his 'best friends' death, in other times he'd be strong and resilient, to ensure they knew he wasn't too emotional for his future endeavours.

Mrs Plinth finished her prayer and the tables intertwined hands dropped from each other, Sejanus's little sister Lavender dropping her hand with haste. She never took kindly to Snow, he had marked this down as her simply missing her brother.

The dinner goes as well as usual, Coriolanus discusses the current political climate of the capital with Strabo adding the occasional sprinkled in comment about studying under Dr Gaul, how they've recently been genetically modifying dogs and mutts.

It's when the maids have cleared the table and only Snow and the current Plinth fortune holder sit is when the room falls to silence once more. Strabo shoos off his wife and daughter with a simple movement and suddenly, as Coriolanus sits at opposite ends to this important man does the blonde realise how long the table really is.

"Coriolanus," he starts, voice rough and almost scratched, "I'm sure you are aware that at this point in time you are guaranteed presidency over panem, I've been in talks with my close friend President Ravinstill and he agrees." The blonde cant contain the small smile that escapes his lips, stretching itself only slightly before the man speaks again, "I however only have one request."

His smile falls.

"It is essential that the president of Panem has a First Lady by his side."
Strabo adjusts his tie awkwardly, "President Ravinstill plans on giving up his presidency just in time for your 20th birthday."
In any other moment, Coriolanus would be overjoyed at this news, everything he had worked for, fought for, coming into place, his blood sweat and tears merging together finally as one.

However only an odd rush of anxiety filled his stomach now, "you have until then to find a wife."

***

The blonde boy was charming and pretty, he already knew that much, but after last years cheating scandal Coriolanus wasn't particularly liked by his classmates at the university, especially since he was given an opportunity they were not, to study under Dr Gaul.

She was brilliant, every piece of technology she made was designed to the utmost perfection. Dr Gaul was the perfect woman to ask for advice in this situation.