1- How I met your mother?

The scent of exotic spices lingered in the air as I stepped into Sasha's new bustling restaurant. The grand opening, his venture into the culinary world, promised an evening of celebration. I felt out of place in the lively atmosphere, my shy demeanor urging me to retreat into the shadows.

I guess Sasha noticed me lingering by the entrance and hurried over. "A'isha this is Muhammad. Muhammad, this is A'isha, my dear friend.," He said, gesturing to a man beside him who had just arrived at the event.

I offered a hesitant smile, feeling a blush creeping up my cheeks. "Nice to meet you, Muhammad."

He was a beautiful dark skin man with soft features, a gentle contrast to his big muscular physicality. His eyes were deep and flirty and he had a nicely sculpted jawline. His tall frame towered over my 5'7 self nicely.

Stop fantasizing girl!

"The pleasure is mine, A'isha," he replied, extending a hand.

As our hands met, a subtle spark passed between us, an unspoken connection that lingered even after we pulled away.

"You're both Nigerian that's a good conversation starter maybe?" Sasha, ever the matchmaker, excused himself, leaving Muhammad and I in a momentary silence.

"Are you a fan of lamb curry?" Muhammad asked, breaking the quiet with a charming smile.

I nodded, my timidity giving way to a genuine smile. "Yes, Sasha mentioned it's a must-try. I'm excited to taste it and I know he grew up in India but I still find it so funny that a 100% white British guy is opening an Indian restaurant" I added trying to make the vibe less awkward, thankfully he let out a chuckle.

"Right! I thought so too but you know there's a lot of Indians around this area and Sasha is very business minded so it makes sense" Muhammad suggested.

Our conversation flowed effortlessly, laughter and shared interests weaved an invisible thread between us.

As the night wore on, the restaurant's ambiance and the shared moments created a sense of connection that surpassed the initial awkwardness. I found out that he's Hausa, both his parents were from Kaduna.

"Ashe Kai na gida ne?" I joked when he told me.

"I would have never guessed you speak Hausa!" He exclaimed looking genuinely shocked which unfazed me as it was a common reaction I got.

"I get that a lot. My father is from Kano and my mother is half Egyptian and half Nigerian from plateau state"

"That's an interesting combination"

"Not as interesting as the marriages between Nigerians and asians these days though" we laughed and continued to talk about our different cultures.

We actually had a few mutual friends and both lived in Abuja. Well, I was moving back to Abuja and Muhammad had only flown in for a couple days for his friends event. Hmm masu kudi, I thought to myself when he mentioned.
After 3 years of university and 2 years of working in London I am ready to go back to my homeland. Living abroad is not for me, I feel I can make a more helpful and positive impact with my career in Nigeria and also there's so much ease back home; the luxury of a cook, cleaners, a driver! I hate the tube. One thing I'm not looking forward to though is being pressured and disturbed about getting married because I was "old enough," I'm just 23. Nigerian family dynamics.

Before the evening concluded, Sasha returned, a mischievous twinkle in his eye. "I see you two are getting along well. I'll leave you to it, maybe exchange contacts."

As instagram handles were discreetly swapped, Muhammad leaned in with a warm smile. "I hope our paths cross again soon, A'isha. Maybe we'll bump into each other here again sometime?"

I couldn't help but smile at the suggestion. "That sounds nice," I replied, the possibility of serendipity adding a touch of excitement to the parting moments.

With a promise to stay in touch, we parted ways that night, the lingering connection growing stronger with each step. Little did I know that this serendipitous meeting marked the beginning of a journey filled with laughter, challenges, and a love that would unfold beyond the walls of 'I do.'

After I left that night I was low-key expecting to receive a text from Muhammad but nothing came. At 11pm I finally felt exhausted and decided to sleep, I quickly texted Sasha a nice little paragraph I wrote him telling him how proud of him I was. He has talked about this restaurant for years, gone to culinary school in France and in India and worked so many jobs to afford to do this. I'm so happy to see my friend winning.

————-
Hello dear reader!

Thank you for deciding to read this book!

Enjoy!
~Aïcha