Chapter Seven: The Last Day of Training

Clove woke up that morning, filled with nerves. Today was her last day of training, her last day of freedom before the games. She slowly forced herself out of bed, not liking the eerie silence that filled the apartment. Cato was long gone, his spot beside her on the bed no longer warm. She slowly crept into the kitchen, quietly grabbing some breakfast as she saw Enobaria on the phone. "

I hope you have a great day sweetie." Enobaria said into the phone, shocking Clove with an unusually soft tone "I have to go to work," Clove could barely hear a muffled voice from the other end before Enobaria responded, "Love you too baby I'll see you later."

"Who was that?" Clove asked curiously, knowing that if Cato was there he'd get mad at her for her bluntness. Enobaria raised an eyebrow but answered

"My daughter." She said bluntly and Clove's jaw dropped. "

You have a daughter!" She exclaimed, "How did I not know that!"

"You never asked," Enobaria said with a shrug.

"What's her name?" Clove asked eager to know all about Enobaria's life.

"Eloisa," Enobaria said with a laugh "Is that all?"

"No," Clove said as they left the apartment, beginning their training day together "I want to know all about your life."

"Why don't we begin training and then I'll tell you a little more," Enobaria said compromising.

"Alright," Clove said, relenting to her "What about everyone I get right I get to ask you a question?" She asked as they approached the knife-throwing range, deep into Panem's woods.

"If that was the case you'd get to ask me a million questions," Enobaria said with an eye roll "What about after every simulation you get to ask me a question."

"Simulation?" Clove questioned.

"Did you think this was a normal throwing range?" Enobaria said with a smirk "Programmed people are going to try to kill you."

"What!" Clove exclaimed. Enobaria smiled pressing a button, a simulation person instantly coming to stab her. Breathless after the first one Clove asked "Do you have any other kids?"

"Yes, I do," Enobaria responded.

"What are their names?" Clove asked curiously.

"That's a second question," Enobaria said with a smirk "Another round." Groaning Clove fought the fake people for what felt like forever.

"What are their names?" Clove asked breathlessly.

"My son's name is Ben," Enobaria said with a smile.

"How old are they? Clove asked, but Enobaria's response was simply clicking the button. "How old are they?" Clove repeated once the simulation finished.

"Elosia's five and Ben is two," Enobaria said in response "Now I have a question for you," Clove sighed, knowing what was coming "What is going on between you and Cato?" Enobaria asked, taking a seat beside Clove.

"It's complicated," Clove murmured.

"I don't want to hear that again," Enobaria said firmly "I just want to know the truth to understand Clove."

"Understand what!" Clove exclaimed.

"Understand how I'm going to help you cope if he dies and you live!" Enobaria shot back, her words instantly hitting Clove into shock. Tomorrow she was going to the Hunger Games. And only one of them would survive. If she lived Cato died. If Cato lived she died. There was no other way. Clove burst into tears instantly, Enobaria wordlessly hugging her.