Chapter Two: The Train

"What the fuck Clover!" Clove felt her heart drop as she entered the train, Cato immediately pushing her into the fall threateningly.

"This isn't my fault!" Clove spat out "What do you think I volunteered on purpose to outshine you're big moment? News flash, not everything is about you dickhead!" Cato gripped onto her tightly, and she winced knowing he was going to leave bruises

"Why didn't Cayenne volunteer?" He asked his voice low.

"She got injured." Clove shouted "It's not my fault! Why did you still volunteer!"

"This was my year Clover!" Cato shouted, "Not yours, so if you think I wasn't going to volunteer because you got reaped think again."

"Well, I'm glad you think so highly of me," Clove said dryly, nearly gasping in shock as Cato's fist pounded into the wall, landing only inches away from her face.

"What is going on here?" Clove had never been so relieved to hear someone's voice in her life. Brutus and Enobaria stood before them, arguably District Two's most famous victors. Enobaria was notorious for killing her fellow tributes with her teeth, now she wore sharpened fangs.

"Nothing," Cato said, letting Clove drop to the ground.

"I'm Brutus and this is Enobaria." Brutus said, "But I'm sure you already know it."

"It's a pleasure to meet both of you," Cato said with a smile as if he hadn't just tried to strangle his fellow tribute to death.

"We're going to be your mentors." Brutus explained, "We're going to train with you and prepare you for the games in any way we can." Clove stayed silent, but she could feel Enobaria's eyes on her, watching her every movement curiously.

"I want the girl." Enobaria said to Brutus as if she and Cato weren't even there "I think she's going to win."

"Fine by me." Brutus said with a smirk "Cato you're with me, let's go into the other room." The two left, leaving Enobaria alone with Clove.

"Do you and Cato hate each other?" Enobaria asked curiously, beckoning Clove to sit down.

"No." Clove said slowly "We don't."

"So any particular reason he was trying to strangle you?" Enobaria asked amusedly.

"He's mad that I got reaped." Clove explained, "It was his year to volunteer and he thinks I was trying to steal his spotlight, not that I chose to be reaped or anything."

"You were supposed to be next year's girl weren't you?" Enobaria said with a wry smile "All you're trainers raved about you, the girl with the knives right?"

"That's me," Clove said with a smile.

"I knew I made the right choice." Enobaria said with a grin "I can't wait to tell Brutus I got the knife girl." Clove smiled, yet it didn't reach her eyes.

"Why don't you go rest for a while." Enobaria advised, sensing Clove was already exhausted "We have all the time in the world to strategize once we get to the capitol I should go check in with Brutus about something." Clove nodded, making a quick dash to the bathroom, not realizing that Enobaria wasn't far behind her. Clove instantly threw up, bursting into tears. This couldn't be happening. This couldn't be real. She splashed her face with water, hoping she looked somewhat presentable before leaving the bathroom. She nearly jumped out of surprise seeing Enobaria standing right outside. "Why are you crying?" She questioned, "For a girl that's bound to win the games, I don't understand why you'd be crying."

"I'm not." Clove lied, but she knew Enobaria could see right through her facade.

"I know you're lying." She said sharply "So tell me are you sick? I heard you throwing up we can get you medication."

"I'm not sick." Clove said, another sob erupting "I'm not sick, I'm fine."

"No, you're not." Enobaria said, her voice surprisingly soft for someone who was known to be so lethal "Is this about Cato?"

"Sort of," Clove admitted.

"You love him don't you?" Enobaria said with a sigh "God why do tributes always have to fall in love."

"Yeah." Clove said softly "I do." She felt another wave of nausea hit her and she dove for the toilet, Enobaria stood behind her, watching her curiously

"Are you sure you're not sick?" Enobaria asked as she washed her mouth out.

"I'm sure." Clove said softly, meeting her gaze "I know I'm not."

"Oh god." Enobaria breathed out "Please tell me you're not." Clove nodded, tears pricking at the corners of her eyes. "It's Cato's isn't it?" Clove nodded, with tears trickling down her face. To her surprise Enobaria pulled her into a hug, holding her tightly as Clove sobbed into her shoulder. "It's going to be ok." She whispered, just by her nature Clove had the inkling that Enobaria had a couple of kids of her own, she wondered how someone so vicious could be so caring.

"I'm going to die." Clove said, "The baby's going to die."

 "No, you're not." Enobaria said sternly "We're going to make you win this do you understand Clove?" Clove nodded

"But what about Cato?" Enobaria paused, faltering slightly

"I don't know." She admitted "But if you live he has to die sweetheart."

"I don't want him to die," Clove said her eyes shining with tears.

"It's him or you." Enobaria said quietly "And based on the fact that you're carrying a baby you have to win." Clove knew what Enobaria was saying was true, but her heart didn't want to believe it.