Chapter Six: The Scores

Today was the day to get scores and Clove was as nervous as ever. What if she did horribly? She didn't even train yesterday. Enobaria and Brutus walked her and Cato downstairs, both confident in their tributes. Cato and Clove remained silent, both showing their nerves in their own way. Once they entered their private room, Cato remained pacing, while Clove sat in silence.

"Cato Hadley." The speaker rang through and Cato took a deep breath before he left.

"Good luck," Clove said with a small smile.

"I won't need it," Cato said cockily, turning to smile at her before leaving. Once Clove was alone all her nerves came crashing down, anxiety filling her up. This was her chance to prove herself, to show everyone that she could win this.

"How was it." Clove murmured to Cato the second he returned and he shrugged

"It was fine." He said with a shrug.

"Clove Kentwell." The speaker rang out and Clove took a long breath before heading into the room. Even though she'd been training in this room for days, it suddenly felt a hundred times bigger, everyone's eyes on her. But she knew what she was doing. She betrayed nothing but confidence, making a beeline for the knives as she hit one bullseye after another, her knife never faltering. She could feel the gaze on her but remained silent until her last knife hit the target. The rest of it went by in a blur and before she knew it she was back in the small room with Cato.

"How was it?" He asked, standing up as she entered.

"It was ok." Clove said, "I think I did alright." 

 "Good." He said, "That's good." The two sat in silence but continued to inch closer toward one another until they were practically touching. "If you want to kiss me all you have to do is ask," Cato said with a smug smile, feeling Clove's eyes on him.

"Not every girl is interested in making out with you Cato," Clove said with an eye roll.

"No, but you are." He said with a smile, and before Clove could stop herself she felt her lips against his. They were quick, rushed kisses, having no time to stop or talk about what was going on between them as their death sentence quickly approached. The door swung open and Clove and Cato broke apart both beet red.

"I told you we should've knocked," Enobaria said with a sigh to Brutus, who merely shrugged, not phased at whatever was going on between Clove and Cato.

"How did it go?" Brutus asked and the two exchanged glances before answering.

"It went well." Cato said, "I think we both did good."

"Good." Brutus said, satisfied "Enobaria and I have a few meetings but you two are free for the rest of the day." "The tribute scores will be released tonight so please meet up after dinner to watch the scores with us," Enobaria said before bidding goodbyes with the two tributes.

"They always have meetings." Clove noted, "I wonder what their really doing."

 "What do you mean?" Cato asked only half paying attention as the two strode down the hall. "I mean there's no way in hell the two of them are in meetings all day." Clove said with an eye roll "Haymitch is practically at the bar all day, I don't think I've ever seen him away from it."

"Well, that's Haymitch." Cato said in defense "I bet they have boring adult lives."

"Do you think either of them is married?" Clove asked, making Cato's eyes widen "I feel like Enobaria is."

"You are too curious Clover." Cato said with a laugh "What can we do in this place anyway?"

 "I don't know." Clove said, "But I'm not spending the day with Marvel and Glimmer."