Prologue

This couldn't be happening. Clove Kentwell could not be pregnant. Not after all the work she'd put in at the academy. She couldn't afford to be. Not on the night before the reaping for the Hunger Games. She didn't have to worry about that, well not for another year. She wasn't scheduled for this year's games, even though she was the best at the school.

"You're still young Clove." Her teacher had told her "You'll excel next year." But the thing that did matter was that Cato Hadley was going to be the male tribute for this year's Hunger Games. A year ago she would've rolled her eyes at the thought of Cato going to the Hunger Games, happy that he was being humbled. But now it terrified her. In a year he grew from an enemy to a lover and that was how she had ended up, locked in the bathroom with a positive pregnancy test. She was already a disappointment enough to her family and she knew they'd be furious at the thought of Clove having a baby. She couldn't afford to have a baby now. And she knew it was too late to tell Cato. If he knew he'd make a rash decision, being the hotheaded person he is. However, all her worries were silenced by a sound coming from outside her window. She knew who it was before she even opened it.

"What do you want Hadley!" She shouted out, not caring if her parents could hear her.

"What!" He said with mock confusion "I couldn't spend my last night in District Two with my favorite girl?"

 "What before you become a rich capital kid and forget all about me?" Clove asked with a laugh, but even she couldn't ignore the worry eating up inside her.

"I could never forget about you, Clover." He said with a grin "You're too irritating for that."

"Well doesn't that just make my heart melt?" Clove said sarcastically "Now are you coming in or not?"

"I thought you'd never ask." Cato said, wasting no time in climbing up the tree beside her window "It's a wonder you're parents haven't cut down this tree yet."

"I think they're just glad my boyfriend isn't some rebel against the capitol." The word boyfriend made both of them freeze. Even though they'd been hooking up for months, they'd never defined the nature of their relationship. Everyone assumed they were together, the two never separating at the academy and Clove was sure some of them had seen him kiss her. But neither could commit to something with the fear of the games above their heads. Knowing inevitably that one of them was bound to face their fate in the games. Clove could only hope that it wasn't her who died. "What if you die?" Clove asked softly after they'd laid in silence for a while.

"I'm not going to." Cato said cockily "You know I'm better than all of them."

"Please don't die." Clove begged, her rare emotional side peeking out "Please don't leave me."

"I'm not dying Clover." Cato said firmly, locking eyes with her "I'm never leaving you."

"Are you scared?" Clove asked quietly.

"I'm not scared," Cato said with a laugh, but Clove knew him well enough to see past his tough facade. She could see the worry lingering in his bright blue eyes. Clove wanted to tell him more than anything. To blurt out her secret. To confess that she was pregnant. But she couldn't break him right now. Not the night before he fought for his life. She couldn't be the one to lead him to his death, the one whose confession scared him more than dying. All she could do was hold onto him until the sun rose the next morning and cherish the few hours they had left together as 'kids', even though they'd never really been kids. Not when they'd been trained to kill. Before she could pull her thoughts together she felt Cato's lips on hers, but it was unlike all the other times he'd kissed her. Instead of the aggressive, quick kisses they usually exchanged these were soft and full of love, moving as slowly as possible, cherishing every moment they had together. "I need you." Cato ground out, between kisses "I need you, Clover."

"I'm right here." Clove whispered, willing herself not to cry "I'm right here Cato." Neither of them talked about that it was possibly their last night ever together. The last time they'd be alone. The last kiss they'd ever share. Clove held onto Cato extra tight that night, never wanting to let him go again. Not when they lived in a world so dull and dark. Not when he was about to fight for his life. Not when she was carrying the child he'd probably never know about. She unconsciously laid a hand on her flat stomach, drifting to sleep, both of their dreams restless and full of terror.