12.

FLYNN

"Dark energon...it usually has a more deadly effect on humans. Well, I'd imagine." Ratchet said, peering closer at Kayde's wound. Kayde looked close to death to Flynn, but he'd always been overly worried about his brother anyways. Maybe he really would be okay just like Ratchet said. He's so pale and he's got such a bad headache that he had to put on sunglasses. He's sweaty too. I just hope he's alright. Flynn thought, keeping his hand on his brother's good shoulder.

"Your bravery is commended." Optimus told Kayde directly, with a barely noticeable nod of approval. Kayde scowled and said nothing. "Thanks to you, we are all safe and our mission was a success."

Kayde didn't say anything, remaining silent again. Thankfully Optimus didn't seem to take notice, instead keeping his ever-watchful gaze on Flynn. He bent down to speak, an attempt to make him less intimidating, but it didn't help much. After his experience on The Nemesis, Flynn had come to realize that maybe Kayde was right. Maybe, even though they didn't mean any harm, the bots were dangerous. Maybe they shouldn't be there...but he couldn't help and feel like that didn't matter anyways. Am I ignoring blatant signs that I might be in immense trouble? Maybe. But these robots...they're here to defend us. If we weren't here today then they might have failed! And who knows what would have happened if they did.

The Decepticons had already made a nasty name for themselves. This wasn't just about their own safety but everybody's! If the Decepticons managed to get a leg up on the Autobots, then hundreds of thousands of people could die! Today we were useful, we did something good! We helped them fight back. And if the story of Megatron taking over their home planet is true, then he's probably here to do the same thing. And if I can stop that from happening then I will!

"Don't mind Kayde," Flynn said. He climbed into Optimus' palm when it was offered, holding onto the bot's thumb to keep himself balanced. Even if he did fall, Optimus seemed like he had quick enough reflexes to catch him. Maybe. Hopefully. "He's just tired. I don't think he means to be rude."

"All is forgiven," Optimus reassured Flynn. "Bumblebee is the same way."

After the fight Kayde had been unconscious by the time he'd gotten back to base. Agent Fowler had arrived soon after and handed him something, a slip of paper which he held tightly in his left hand. When Flynn had asked about it, Fowler had completely ignored him and left the base in his helicopter. Not exactly a discreet method of transportation if he really wants to keep this place hidden. Fowler himself had also been questioned whether or not he should fly, after his own encounter with the Decepticons he'd been left woozy and uncooperative. Something was going on, something secret. Something Flynn was going to get to the bottom of if he could.

"Will Kayde be okay?" Miko asked anxiously from Bulkhead's shoulder, her eyes wide.

"He'll be fine after some rest." Ratchet relayed. Flynn sighed his relief, all of the adrenaline keeping him going since the fight was gone and his muscles became jelly. He leaned his entire weight against Optimus' digit and closed his eyes. Kayde will be okay...he'll be okay. He'll be okay. Flynn repeated. He isn't going anywhere any time soon. He's going to be okay. "His vitals are consistent and stabilized. But after exposure to dark energon he may feel a little under the weather for the next couple of days."

Flynn shuddered. Of course Kayde was going to be okay. How could there ever possibly be any alternative? Kayde was the only person he had left in this life. After his parents had died, he'd withdrawn from all of his friends—friends he'd had difficulty making in the first place. After they'd moved on, even though Flynn was a little better now, it was far too late to get back in touch. They all were on different paths now. It was just him and Kayde against the world. Well, now the bots were here too. That had to count for something at least. Without Kayde he wouldn't survive.