2. On the Sidelines

It was officially your fourth day in this technicolor world. Well, at least it felt like your fourth day. You were already starting to lose count.

Before you could psychoanalyze the situation, you were interrupted by another thought. "I should make Wally some dessert." You decided it would be a good idea to make something to get your mind off of... things.

Wally had already left Home, and you felt uncomfortable being there without him. Having that nauseous feeling creep up on you again did not seem like a good idea. So, in no time, you gleefully got up and skipped to Howdy's store.

Entering, you were immediately flooded with the aroma of fruit. The atmosphere felt light and cozy. The place was also empty for the most part—save for the faint voices you heard on the other side of the store. The shelves were just as enormous as you remembered, and stocked to the ceiling in miscellaneous items. The dim blue lighting and feel of the bugdega contrasted with the neighborhood's bright oranges and reds. It made the place feel pleasant and sheltered.

You hummed a tune whilst picking out some lemons. Sure that Wally would have a nice variety of apples at Home, you skipped over those and went straight to the spices. "Hm, cinnamon, nutmeg, ooh allspice." After gingerly picking out a few of your favorites, you made your way to the counter.

Upon arriving, Wally and Barnaby greeted you. "Heya y/n, what's cooking?"

Before you could answer, Wally said, "Hi, y/n. What are you doing here?"

"How can I help you?" Howdy said, probably on autopilot.

"Well, I'm making something special," you nudged Wally's shoulder and he blushed.

"Ah, young love." It was your turn to flush.

"Oh, Barnaby. Stop it." You groaned.

"I'm just saying." He answered.

"What are you guys doing here anyways?"

"Just gettin' the usual."

"A usual for my usuals? Comin' right up, pal-ly!" Howdy got to work fixing stuff up.

"What's the usual?" You asked.

"I thought we were getting hotdogs," Wally added.

"That is our usual, little buddy, it means somethin' you and me get all the time! Kinda like our morning perusal."

"You mean our walk?"

"Yeah, but I like perusal better! Makes me feel like a fancy, high-class pooch! A pedigree with some degrees, if you will." Barnaby was always so confusing.

"Oh," Wally simply answered.

"Is that where you go every morning?"

"Yes, y/n. Me and Barnaby take a little perusal around the neighborhood." He made sure to emphasize the new word he learned.

"Alrighty! I gotta bloodhound in a whirlwind of trouble and an old reliable dog!" Howdy pulled out two completely opposite hotdogs. One huge and covered with every type of mustard, ketchup, and relish known to man, and the other just a simple little hotdog. "So what's the gaff today, Barn?"

"Gaff?" You mumbled in confusion.

"I got a good one that's been brewin' in this pot of mine all day! What do you call a caterpillar after a month-long nap? A butterfly! But if you ask me, I'd call the poor guy a doctor!" Howdy burst into a fit of comedic laughter whilst Wally announced his usual 'ha, ha, ha,' and you just giggled along. Something about the way Barnaby said it made the joke so much funnier than it really was.

"That's a hoot! A holler even! You always never disappoint! Say, Wally, what about you? You got any silly yarns for me today?" Howdy somehow managed to be more cryptic than an escape room message, but they carried on.

"No, but I have a joke," Wally responded. You and Howdy giggled.

"What'd I tell you? He's a natural and that was just a taste! Go on, kid."

"Okay." He took a deep breath and carefully recited, "How does Barnaby eat his hot dog?"

"How?" Howdy said enthusiastically.

"He relishes it!" You giggled and rolled your eyes at his quip. Howdy though, seemed to enjoy it very much.

"He sure does! Boy, you're getting the hang of this funny business, Walls! It won't be long before you're the one paying for these hot dogs!"

"That's okay, I like when Barnaby buys them."

It was then that something clicked in your mind. "Wait, we're paying in jokes?" The three of them started laughing at your confusion.

"Seems like it. So, ya' think you can make one? I heard you're as funny as Walls here!"

"From who?"

"These fellas couldn't stop talking about ya!"

"Hey, don't blame me, it was all this lil' guy!" You—once again—chuckled at their antics,

"Alright, alright. I've got a joke. Hopefully it's good enough." Everyone beamed at you as you looked to your basket for inspiration. "Why did the pie go to the dentist?"

"Why?" Howdy and Barnaby asked in unison.

"It needed a filling!" You said as charismatically as possible. The three of them burst into a laughter contagious enough for you to join in.

"Well, seems these two were right! Now, get outta here, I've got work to do!" The three of you obliged and left the store in a bushels worth of laughter.

"That was fun." Wally said, munching on his hotdog and offering you a bite.

"No thanks, I'm saving my stomach for this," you told him, gesturing to your basket of free ingredients. Well, free save for the cheesy joke.

"Still wanna paint together, lil' buddy? Seems you'd rather stick with your lady love." Both you and Wally cringed.

"I think I will walk y/n to Home," Wally said, finishing up his hotdog.

"No need to come back. You two have a merry time together, see ya!" Barnaby left as the two of you awkwardly walked back Home.

"So, Barnaby's as enthusiastic as ever," Wally's face flushed again.

"Don't mind him. He's been teasing me for a while now, actually." He confessed.

"Sounds like him."

"So, what are you making anyways?"

"It's a surprise!"

~•~

1000 words

"Phew, another chapter. Vote if you liked it and comment your thoughts, and I'll see you next chapter!"

- Coffee