1. Indulgence

It was tempting to ask Wally about leaving again, but you doubted it would lead you anywhere.

Instead, you decided to explore. Starting with the neighborhood, everything seemed just as perfectly normal as usual. Julie was as gleeful as usual, Poppy continued making her usual delights, Barnaby, as usual, was violently playing around with Frank's garden—much to Frank's chagrin. Everything was just that; usual.

You hadn't realized it in your short time here, but most of the neighbors' personalities were one-sided. Everyday was just a game to restart and make slightly distinct choices in. That was just the reality of living alongside characters.

You sat against the trunk of a nearby tree in defeat. You hadn't seen a single out of the ordinary sight all day.

You held onto the taste of Poppy's muffins earlier, and the bickering of Frank and Barnaby just to stay awake.

Occasionally, a vibrant leaf fell and you'd collect it whilst staring hopelessly at the neighbors' antics. At some point, the pile was blown away by an oncoming breeze. You didn't mind, but your eyes wandered to where they went. One spiraled up until making its way down to the yellow path. Another, went to get caught on the highest branch of Frank's raspberry bush.

But one in particular seized your attention. It floated out of your sight, far past Julie's house. You got up in curiosity, following it to the forest. But the little leaf didn't stop there. Oh no, it wove around branches and twisted through tree trunks. You trudged through lairs of vegetation to keep up with the bright blue leaf.

Eventually, you caught it. Taking a moment to revel in glory, you collapsed onto the open field of flowers you found yourself in. Basking in the soft sunlight and sweet scent of these unfamiliar florals felt perfect. The dim lighting the surrounding evergreens provided made the scenery glow with warmth. Your eyelids fluttered to a close and your lips curled into a smile.

Maybe you wouldn't mind staying here a bit longer.

~•~

You were, once again, pushing your way through the abysmal forest. Not to continue on, but to get back to the neighborhood. Hopefully they hadn't realized you were away. In the grand scheme of things you'd managed to fall asleep right there.

How long were you there, anyways? It was midday when you left and the sun was setting as of now. A few hours? Hopefully no more than that.

While you hadn't realized it your first time, turning back revealed that the lush greenery faded into those familiar bright colors right around the neighborhood. Strange. Again, one thing you only realized when retreating was that you'd never even entered the forest before. Actually, you'd never seen any of the neighbors there either.

No time to ponder on that though. You finally made it out, and the sun was slowly disappearing upon the horizon. Calling that a day complete, you went back Home.

The door swung open, and you were greeted with the face of a disheveled Wally. His face didn't contort from its concerned state once seeing you.

"Y/n, I was worried sick! Where were you?" Before he could ramble on, you enveloped him in an embrace. For reasons you couldn't fathom, he went limp in your arms. Deciding not to be concerned, you let go and walked him to his bedroom.

He got dressed in pajamas, and you just collapsed after taking off your dirt-covered sweater. "Y/n, where were you? I know I already asked, but you did a good job at not answering."

"I was in a rush and found myself in a little meadow in the forest. I honestly don't know that well," you answered after a moment.

"If you wanted to go to the forest so badly, you could've just asked me," he pointed out.

"With how you've taken my words these days, could you at least admit to being a bit difficult?" You added sarcastically.

He sighed in repentance, "I'm sorry for being harsh, darling. I just haven't been myself lately."

"What do you mean? When you tell me to ask you it's all sunshine and roses, and then when I do, you throw that out the window!"

He held onto your shoulders before you could blow up. "Darling! I'm sorry for how I've been acting, alright? I promise that I'll get better in the future, but for now; can we go to bed?"

"Alright," you groaned, feeling a bit calmer despite your act.

Something about today made you feel better. But, then again, it still gave you that unsettling sense that you'd had since stepping foot in this foreign environment.

~•~

783 words

"First chapter! Does this seem like a worthy continuation so far? If so, vote, comment, add it to your library, whatever. If anyone's gonna see this book, I need your help. And as always, dear readers, I'll see you next chapter!"

- Coffee