part one, chapter one, page one

Up at 2 am on a Thursday night. That was usual for Samu. He rode in his Jeep through Kitty Hawk Beach. The fresh ocean air grazed his face. His red Goorin Bros hat, which donned a black widow and the word "deadly," sat on the passenger seat along with a half finished bottle of Jack Daniels. He was absolutely drained from the excessive amount of partying he did. Despite his mother saying he wasn't allowed to go out, he did anyway. He's 17. He can do whatever he wants. Or at least that's what he thinks. When he drives down the highway late at night, he always has no care in the world. All he really cares about is himself. He developed this mentality because of his shitty dad. It is very typical in stories like this.

He stopped his Jeep by the beach. Getting out, he saw the lovely sky painted dark indigo, his favorite color. He really loves photography, so of course he wouldn't sleep on an opportunity like this. he grabbed out his camera and started taking pictures of the North Carolina sky. The stars were like glitter in a sea of indigo. As he was taking pictures, he got a text from his best friend, Bentley. It said, "have u made it home safe?" He replied "yeah" Bentley replied back. Bentley is probably one of the best people in Samu's life. They've been best friends since they were in pre-school. Getting in his Jeep, he started contemplating what he should say to his mom when he gets home.

Pulling up in the palm tree- aligned driveway, Samu was very nervous that his mom might be standing by the door. It happened the last time he pulled this. Turning his car off, he grabbed the bottle of Jack Daniels and put it into his backpack. He sat back and reclined his head. Taking a deep breath and closing his eyes, he uttered,

"God, I may not really believe in you, but please DON'T let my madre kill me, por favor." He got out of the car and walked into the house.

The house was dark and quiet. Samu breathed a sigh of relief. "Madre está durmiendo." he whispered to himself.

He placed his bag on the island and walked to the fridge. He was absolutely starving. Looking around the fridge, he found some brownies. Assuming his sister, Marianna, made them, he took them out of the tubberware container. He's gonna get back at Marianna for snitching on him for partying late like he did tonight. Bobbing his head up and down with joy because of how good the brownies were, he dropped the lid to the container. It made a loud noise. His heart froze. He swallowed the brownie hard as he looked at the threshold. Scared is his mom would be there. Fortunately, she wasn't. Picking up the lid, he looked up to see his mom in her silk robe and slippers, with her arms crossed. He yelped in shock. The shit was scared out of him.

"Hola, mamá." he said nervously.

"Had a good night out?" she asked.

"Y-yeah. I uh- I lost track of time and -"

"It's almost 3 am, Samu. Why were you out so late?"

Samu tried to speak, but his mom cut him off.

"You were supposed to be home at 10. LIKE YOU PROMISED! But you know, it's 4 hours later and you decide to show up." She looked at Samu's bag on the island. "What's in the bag, Samu?"

"Um, stuff?" He said slowly.

He tried to grab the bag, but his mom got it before him. She opened it, revealing the half finished bottle of Jack Daniels.

"Huh, no wonder this was missing from the alcohol shelf. What the hell, Samu?"

Samu looked down at the ground with guilt. He knows deep down, it was worth it. His mom spoke to him sternly in Spanish.

"Why the hell do you, a 17-year-old, have alcohol in your possession? You know damn and good well you could have died. Or you could have killed someone else! You aren't an adult, Samu! Don't do that shit ever again!"

Samu looked up at her. "Sorry, mamá."

"Are you drunk right now?"

"No." His mom pulled him closer by the jaw.

"Let me smell your breath."

Samu kept his mouth shut. He shook his head no.

"Samu, let me smell your fucking breath or I'm going sell your Jeep."

"OH HELL NAH!" He pushed back. However, his mom got a whiff of his breath. Indeed, he had alcohol.

"First of all, you know damn well I won't sell your Jeep, and second of all, Jack Daniels is all over your breath! Don't you ever let me catch you drinking alcohol ever again! I don't want you to end up like your dad!"

Samu turned to her, rolling his eyes "Mom, I don't give a fuck about dad anymore, neither does Storm nor Mari. He's in Spain. What he does in Spain is not my business."

"I know Samu, but you know that I am trying to be a good mother and raise you right -"

"Madre, I'm tired, I wanna go to bed. Let's just table this conversation, alright? I get it, I will stop." Samu said as he grabbed the container of brownies and walked towards the stairs.

"You know those are Marianna's, right?"

Samu stopped in his tracks and turned to his mother's direction "She can suck it up, I really don't care."

"Okay." His mom beckoned.

As he got to his room, Samu grabbed clothes from his closet; a pair of 49er's athletic shorts, a Coors Light t-shirt, and boxer briefs. When he made it to the bathroom, he looked into the mirror. He noticed there was a small cut on the bridge of his nose. A small pearl of crimson glimmered on it. He wiped it off in disgust. He hates the sight of blood.

Feeling very exhausted, he undressed. His honey- golden skin was absolutely glowing. His curved biceps and veins more defined by the light. He got into the warm shower and very slowly started washing himself.

After 20 minutes in the hot shower, he got dressed. His pearl necklace still bejeweled his collarbone and neck. He slowly brushed his teeth and washed his face before leaving the bathroom.

Walking down the dimly-lit hallway, he got a text from Bentley. It said "i made it home safely. im with greyson and he's FUCKED up rn. so i might not be at school tmrrw." Samu looked at his phone with disappointment. He was really excited to ride with Bentley in his new car. Before he could reply, his sister, Marianna, tapped him on the shoulder. And of course, Samu is jumpy, so he got the shit scared out of him.

He flinched. "Jesus, Mari, do you ever consider you remind me of La Llorona?"

Marianna looked at him with a pissy look. "You got in trouble, huh?"

Samu rolled his eyes "It's not your business."

Marianna rolled her eyes. But as she looked at his room and on his bed, sat her container of brownies.

She pointed at his room. "Are those my brownies?" Samu looked back to his room then to Marianna's bed. There was a bong full of weed.

"Is that weed?"

Marianna closed her door behind her. "Don't tell mom."

Samu smiled at Marianna in a cocky way. "Then let me have your brownies, and you can keep your weed."

Mari rolled her eyes. "Ugh, fine, go to bed asshole."

Samu smiled. "Aww, love you too, sweet sister."

Mari flipped him off. "Next time, don't touch my shit." She walked back into her room.

Samu then mocked her.

"Shut up, bitch." he said under his breath.

He then walked to his room. Hopping into his bed, he texted Bentley back and then put his phone on the charger. His body sprawled out on his cool sheets, and he lied on his back. He placed his hands on over his chest. His heart was beating slowly and softly against his ribs and sternum. His breathing slow. He does regret going out late tonight. He knows his mom is going to give him absolute shit for the next few weeks. He DEFINITELY knows Marianna will tell Stormy, and they will both give him even more shit about it.