Epilogue

Everyone sat around the living room together, all smiling and laughing like the group of friends they were. The adoption papers had been signed this morning and the Dazai-Nakahara household now welcomed another member into their family. A bright young girl of the age of three was their newly adopted daughter: Sakura. Sakura had bright orange hair like her papa but had soft brown eyes like her dad's. She was a rambunctious little girl who fit in just perfectly. The pair loved her immensely and were so happy to finally welcome her into their home. To celebrate their family growing, Dazai and Chuuya threw a little welcoming party for Sakura so she could meet everyone and everyone could meet her. Currently Sakura sat on her auntie Kouyou's lap whilst petting Atsushi's tail excitedly. Dazai and Chuuya sat on the sofa opposite watching their daughter feel so comfortable with the others. 

Akutagawa looked down at the bundle of sunshine that was currently attacking his boyfriend's tail and couldn't help but smile as Atsushi tried not to laugh from being tickled by the little monster. His mentors had made themselves a happy family.

Looking around at the joy and laughter this young girl brought, Akutagawa was brought back to his days living here. It was a comforting and breath of fresh air in his previously depressing life. It was also kind of healing, because though it was a chance for Dazai to redo his past mistakes, it was also a chance for him to have a redo of his childhood. Despite it not lasting long, that week or so had done so much for him. Akutagawa found himself more mellowed out and allowed to be vulnerable. He had learnt to let down his walls.

After the debacle with Ellen and once Akutagawa was back in Dazai's safe arms, everything else fell into place. Tracking down the ability user responsible for the kids condition was swift work. Hidden in one of the underground offices was a detailed plan of all Ellen's actions and highlighted, easy to find, were the contact details of the ability user they needed. Having just come off a do or die situation, it was best to cool down for a few days together back home before putting things back to normal. The three of them spent the next few days hanging out as a mini family: watching movies together, snuggled up on the couch; going out to dinner (Chuuya and Dazai's hearts swelling with glee at Akutagawa's adorable awe); playing around the arcade and Chuuya and Akutagawa were totally not teaming up together to destroy Dazai. It was all an amazing experience and if it wasn't for the mental scars, there would be no sign they went through a traumatic event. However all good things would always have to come to an end and when Akutagawa's bruises had all fully healed and his ankle was no longer sprained, they all knew it was time to bring the ability user in. The Mafia would be wanting their subordinate back and everyone was starting to miss their Akutagawa. 

It took only a day  for the ability user to come and change everything again, and with that the sweet boy they knew, was now leaving their household as an adult again but the things he learnt and felt was never going to be forgotten. All those memories had rushed back into the young man's head as he returned back to his actual age. It didn't hit him like a crashing wave but felt like a gentle river flowing into his mind, and after everything, he viewed it all from a different light. What Dazai did had truly happened and there was no changing that, but at the same time he was glad to have had this opportunity to see the new Dazai, the kind man who honestly loved him.

"Akutagawa-" Dazai had gone to speak to the now adult Akutagawa, help him process the change back to normal but his words were quickly interrupted as he was pulled into a tight hug.

"Thank you for everything." Akutagawa joyfully cried into his mentor's arms.

That was all that was needed that day. Akutagawa was the same as he was always but better than ever. He may be an adult again but Dazai wasn't going to leave him now. Akutagawa wasn't a task nor a burden- he was a friend who he will always love. A month had passed since that day and now a young, cheeky little girl had been welcomed into the family and Akutagawa couldn't be happier for his friends.

"Sakura, you've got the best parents in the world and I know that from first hand experience so consider yourself immensely lucky." Akutagawa informed the sweet child, rustling her hair.

The group spent a good few hours enjoying themselves together. They played some board games and entertained the young child with stories of their adventures. Kouyou had way too much fun revealing the embarrassing secrets of her new parents to the child, but not to worry Akutagawa and Atsushi also joined in the fun, revealing their own private tales of their mentors, some stories which made the happy couple blush. It truly was an enjoyable evening.

"We best get going." Atsushi announced, once Chuuya had put Sakura down for a nap.

The pair had gotten up and made their way to leave but before they departed, Akutagawa pulled Dazai into a hug. Realising what he had done, Akutagawa attempted to pull out but Dazai pulled him back in and hugged him tighter. It was a habit Akutagawa had picked up after living in their loving household. They were so affectionate to him when he was de-aged that he still felt the love and sometimes it leapt out and before he knew it he was hugging one of his mentors like he was a little kid again. When it first happened, Akutagawa was quite embarrassed but Dazai more than hell  encouraged it. Regardless of age, Akutagawa would be safe in Dazai's arms- always!