Chapter 6- Search and Rescue

The moment his phone went to voicemail for the third time in a row, Dazai knew something was amiss. After their failed divulgence conference with Akutagawa, Dazai looked for other ways to help his former subordinate, such as turning his efforts towards finding the culprit for the boy's current condition. In the meantime, he'd provide Akutagawa with the much needed alone time to gather his thoughts and hope, when he was ready, he would reach out to Chuuya. His husband was always better at dealing with the emotional side of things, which was true even when they were teens. If there was anyone who could support Akutagawa in his time of need, Chuuya would be the best to lean on. Dazai had already tried to be a rock to lean on but after his secrets were revealed, that dissolved trust probably crumbled along with his lies. He was unsuccessful in his attempts to console the child through such a world changing declaration, so he hoped Chuuya would be able to pick up where he failed. Once Dazai had found a clue or anything that may help Akutagawa, he had promised Chuuya he'd call and that was what he was doing... yet no answer.

Three miscalls. Three miscalls. THREE MISCALLS! Chuuya never let it drag on to three. His husband was fast on his feet so, given the slim chance his phone was far away, he'd still be able to easily answer by the time the third call came, yet he was sent to voicemail once more. Hearing that overly nostalgic ringtone of teenage Chuuya cursing him out for the third time in a row made Dazai want to drop his phone in fear. If Chuuya wasn't able to answer it by now something must've gotten him seriously tied up, but how? Chuuya was an expert fighter and rarely let anyone take him by surprise, and even in battle he managed to answer the phone. Dazai had vivid memories of Chuuya answering many calls from the boss, whilst midfight, and not giving any signs he was otherwise preoccupied... so why were his calls left unanswered?

An immense wave of fear fell over him, suffocating Dazai from every side. His eyes widened and his heart raced all whilst his mind went into a panic. Chuuya wasn't answering the phone.... but he always answered the phone. Dazai's breathing started to pick up in pace as his thoughts turned darker and darker in his mind. Chuuya's been attacked.... no worse caught off guard so no chance of picking up the phone or was their an attempt to call him. What if this happened a while ago? Chuuya is missing! Was he hurt? Has he been missing for a while....probably-  Akutagawa! The kid was alone with Chuuya, if Chuuya's gone so is he. His family is missing! That fact violently dawned on Dazai, very abruptly, and he found himself having to hold onto the wall or else he felt like he would fall to the ground. The world was collapsing in on itself and Dazai was stuck in the eye of the storm with no way out. He was alone. Isolated. Lost. Those he cared for deepest had vanished within a blink of an eye and Dazai was struggling to process it all. His breathing was becoming nearly nonexistent, and his heart was beating at an impeccable speed. The sound of his heartbeat echoed in his ears, and his rushed breaths sent ricochets through his body. Everything was vanishing around him; it was all falling apart. Soon it was just him and the wall. A single wall became his lifeline. Dazai felt if he dared to let go, he too would vanish. Perhaps that would be preferable to this current hell. Simply falling and vanishing from this world. Maybe Dazai should give it a try and with that he let go and fell.

Yet he didn't vanish. He felt the hard ground push against his knees but even more he felt a pair of reassuring hands hold him up. A rope of kindness was keeping ahold of him, preventing Dazai from vanishing from this world. Looking up at his saviour Dazai saw a soft ray of calmness radiate from a gentle smile. The gentle smile of his mentee. Sweet Atsushi was holding Dazai up by the shoulders, providing a solid pillar of support to keep him standing. Dazai felt his breathing steady to a normal pattern and his heart slowly regulated itself into a peaceful rhythm. Seeing his student come to him in his time of need lit a flame of hope; a message that told him that this wasn't the end. Atsushi had given him a life ring when he was drowning in the ocean of despair and he'll gladly take it. Dazai will take that life ring and use it to bring him back to safety, land where his sanity awaited. Time still moved on whilst Dazai fell apart and that was time he could have used productively. Chuuya and Akutagawa are missing, so what? Dazai is a tactical genius and someone has just messed with the people he cares about. He wasn't a demon prodigy for nothing. Whoever took his loved ones should make their final wishes because when Dazai finds them, they will regret ever being born. Dazai was done with wallowing in self pity and fear. With the aid of a supporting friend, he found his footing once more and with this newfound determination Dazai would be sure to enact his vengeance.