Chapter 3- Taking a page out of Atsushi's book

Akutagawa opened his eyes to bright rays of sunshine landing on his face. He woke up, warm and cozy from a dream filling bed and a satisfying meal the previous night. A joyful smile rested on his face and an air of calm surrounded him. For the first time in his life he woke up happy and feeling safe. The cozy sheets comforted his senses and the warm sunshine acted as a friend instead of a cruel enemy. Everything felt like a blissful dream instead of a raging nightmare for once, but it was neither, this was his reality now and that was a fact that was still struggling to sink in. No more sleeping on the streets or fighting for food; no, now he had the luxury of sleeping in comfortable beds, having a permanent safe residence for once and delicious gourmet food fit for a king. Things he could only once dream of were now within reach and only at the small price of working for the Port Mafia. His life was already dangerous, at least here he got these happier luxuries as compensation, and seeing how wonderful yesterday went, it definitely seemed a worthwhile price to pay. The taste of the dinner from the previous night was still floating around his senses and it had brought an even brighter smile to his face. The memories of the pleasant meal and the kindness of the people he spent it with filled him with joy and contempt and perhaps at last some hope for the future. Maybe he could live a life he was proud of now and he knew Gin would probably think the same. 

Once they found his sister everything could properly get started. They could live a life they would enjoy and not constantly fear for their life. Though life in the Mafia will be dangerous, there will at least be rewards in return and that was better than the nothing they had before. He knew his sister would see that; at first she may be a bit wary, he can understand that, he was too at the offer, but once she saw the greater life they had, he knew she'd come around. They'd live better here, grow stronger, live a life they were happy with. They just had to find his sister and then everything will be alright. Dazai had saved him and he was so grateful for that. Fully prepared to become the best and strongest subordinate in the world, but how unprepared he truly was for the pain he faced upon entering the Mafia. This Akutagawa was oblivious of the torture that he had gone through so remained with the naive thoughts that everything was going to be ok, but perhaps it might, this time round. There was no monster watching him now, instead there sat a reformed man trying to do better by him and hopefully this time he'd get his happy life and things would be alright.

Filled with dreamy bliss and hopeful satisfaction with his new situation, Akutagawa pushed himself up and away from the soothing covers and out towards the door. Having already heard the rambunctious footsteps of his awoken patrons, he thought now would be the best time to reveal his woke self and properly start the day. And upon opening the door he was met with a warm sense of rightness that he made the correct choice. He could smell the flavorous scent of a freshly prepared breakfast and could just about see the slow movements of one still groggy Dazai Osamu in the dining room. His mentor was wearing some grey baggy pyjamas and was moving with the laziness of a person who just wanted to fall back to bed. His whole essence felt kind and casual and nothing like the nightmarish demon prodigy he had heard of, but then again this may just be the privilege of being chosen personally by him and for that he considered himself extremely lucky. Akutagawa was just about to make his way over to the dining room when the bathroom door next to him suddenly swung open to reveal a finely dressed Chuuya Nakahara. The second of his kind patrons.

"Good morning Akutagawa, i was just about to go wake you up, seems you beat me to that. Sleep well?" Chuuya spoke out with a cheery tone full of affection and all the kindness and glam of someone who was surely a morning person. He smiled down at Akutagawa with a beaming kindness and he just seemed to radiate energy and sunshine. If it wasn't for the darkly serious attire, there'd be no hint towards the brutality of his job or the fact it was in the Mafia, since there was no fiendish shines in Chuuya's calm blue eyes, just a strong gentleness which Akutagawa could happily find himself lost in for hours.