Chapter 16

Christmas went into the dark abyss for another year, ushering in the turning of a new page--- the new year. With all the gifts unwrapped, put away, or on display, the only thing left was to prepare for Bruce Wayne's annual New Year's Eve party. Apparently, it's a big to-do with lots of press, socialites, and glitzy, glamorized people attending.

Harley wouldn't know. She's never been a part of this crowd before him. Before, she was on the outskirts looking in. Now, the blonde has attended more holiday events in the last few months than her whole life combined. Change was not only unavoidable but usually brought its own reward. She supposes fancy events with a billionaire boyfriend are one of them.

It had been decided that this year's event would not be hosted at Wayne Manor with Joker on the loose. Bruce, with Dick's input, doesn't want to take any chances, even with all the security measures. Instead, the Wayne Botanical Garden will be used as the venue. It brought the outdoors inside perfectly because you can't go wrong with using what nature provides for decorations. Plus, it's large enough to host a complete gala and still have room for more people. And with the skylights overhead, the twinkle of the stars will deliver an ambiance all its own.

Prior to having a fiance', Bruce left the New Year's party in the capable hands of his secretary, Jane. However, this time, he thought the two ladies in his life could work together because he'd eventually like Harley to lead all his event planning. Of course, she doesn't know this, but that's the man's goal--- passing the torch to her.

His kindly, older secretary met Harley at Wayne Manor at the beginning of December, long before the gleam of Christmas began. The two women sat down and planned everything out, down to the napkins. This New Year's Eve party would be bigger and better than ever. Glitter and Gold was the theme, which was Harley's idea because "Everyone deserves a chance to shine. People always wear a little sparkle, whether in their eyes or adorning their bodies. It just needs a chance to take center stage."

The caterers were contacted, and ironically, floral shops for table arrangements. The party supply store filled the order of gold confetti crackers that pop open and burst with fun surprises. Everything was planned with nothing left undone. But the day after Christmas saw Harley backtrack and overthink things, as is the curse of the classic over-planner.

It started when she was lying in bed with the sun trying to shine into the darkened room behind the thick curtains. Her body has a distinctive ache that can only come from using specific muscles that haven't been used in a long time. It's nice and promptly reminds her of their love-making, which had not been rushed. Not even the second or third time when they found an incredible rhythm and harmony between them.

A tender smile graced her face like the strong arm around her waist. Bruce's arm always seemed to find its way around her frame every morning, holding her in place, nuzzled in front of him. As much as the blonde loves it, it also makes it challenging to untangle herself and not disturb him in the process. She's gotten better at untwisting over the weeks since moving in, but this morning appeared particularly difficult.

Every time she scooted a little bit away, the man would move with her, re-ensconcing the blonde into his embrace. Harley huffed. Then she began prying his arm off again and maneuvering herself out. He still followed and followed until she fell off the bed, landing with a thud. Her bottom ached, as did her elbow.

Irritated and rubbing the offended elbow, Harley narrowed her eyes at Bruce, still sleeping, unaware of what had happened. Being upset at someone oblivious to events is silly, but she couldn't help it. She's only human, and that humanness wanted to take her pillow and smack him with it. The blonde did not; instead, Harley took it and placed it under his arm as a substitute for her. Poor substitute.