Chapter 4

The universe is a vast colossal amount of space. Billions of people, stars, meteors, galaxies, and other things fill it. And sometimes the universe, or God, doesn't play fair with an ironic sense of humor. At this very minute in the world, some people are settling down, some are settling for anyone, period, and some refuse to settle for anything less than your heart feeling like melted chocolate sliding down a warm brownie--- all gooey.

Sometimes it's better to be alone than poorly escorted. That was not the case for Bruce Wayne. He was accompanied by someone he hadn't thought about in a long time. In fact, when the guy thinks about it, it's rather strange that this girl hadn't crossed his mind in years. In the past, she constantly disturbed and disrupted his thoughts, trying to figure out her next move (or the Joker's).

But to any fool with eyes, it's obvious to see why Harley Quinn had fallen off his bat radar. To start, Bruce noted she doesn't look anything like her old self--- far from it. Gone were the heavy makeup, tattoos, pasty white skin, and barely there clothing. They've been replaced by someone who's utterly captivating and gorgeous, at least in his opinion.

He remembers the last time he saw her, in the private box at the Alliance Theater. Harley looked good then, but that's nothing compared to now giving him a bunch of flutters in the stomach like bats flying out of a cavern. Not to mention her line of work is different, and she seems happier, put together, and all around better off. Joan Leland didn't lie when she touted Harley as her most meaningful success story.

Bruce is glad that the woman who was once his rival has been triumphant in life and stayed out of trouble. And he supposes her subtle name change has helped with that. Somewhere from deep inside, Bruce wished he'd seen the blonde before now. Unsure what to do with those new emotions, the man pushed them down and started a conversation.

"So, Miss Quizzel, is it?"

Harley nodded yes, and Bruce asked a few curious questions. "How long have you been a teacher here?"

Sometimes in life, a person is called upon to perform a task far beyond their abilities. Currently, Harley feels woefully unprepared, especially since the last tour she gave didn't go so well. She tripped twice and didn't expand on any details. It was rather embarrassing, mainly when saying things like, "As you can see, that's the gym."

Of course, people can see. They have eyes but want to be told more. And now, here she is again in this same position. Except instead of an average person, it's Bruce-freaking-Wayne. Harley tried to regain her senses while answering the question. "This is my fourth year at Westover."

The handsome billionaire gave a "Hmm," and wrinkled his nose at her evasive responses. Trying to draw her out, he inquired, "What drew you to this school? Why did you want to teach here?"

That seemed to get the girl to relax because her face lit up, and she started carefreely detailing her experience. "Well, there are many reasons I chose Westover. One thing I liked was the location. Even though Blüdhaven is a city, it's not as big as Gotham, and I appreciate that because it's easier to get lost in the shuffle of things in large metropolitan areas. There's a sweetness and community feel here that's not found in bigger locations."

His mouth twitched at the corners. Bruce was not expecting that answer but agreed. She expounded on that thought before he could respond, leaving him speechless. "That's what's lacking in big cities. I've come to learn that heroes don't always leap tall buildings or wear masks and capes. Unlike Gotham, most places don't have superheroes, but they have people who bleed and bruise just the same. Their superpowers are as important by listening or loving. They're everyday people who knew that even if their lives were impossibly tangled, they could unravel someone else's and lead someone to rescue you right back."