Chapter 6

The hardest part of dating is getting over the hurdle of the first date. After that, it's smoother sailing, and Harley sailed herself into Bruce Wayne's life flawlessly. One date turned into two, which turned into three more, and before they knew it, they had been dating for a little over a month.

It was odd because it almost seemed too good to be true. Everything was clicking between the new couple. It was easy, and nothing in either of their lives had been this easy before, especially Harley's. And one particular Thursday, Glinda reminded her of an important truth.

The pair of women were playing cards when the blonde told the older lady about the state of her relationship. "It's too easy, Glinda. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop like I find out he's only using me to meet some rich person's quota, or Bruce is secretly in love with some long-legged busty gal," Harley mused.

She sighed deeply, adding a final thought. "I think I'm afraid of happiness. Usually, when I am, something bad comes along to mess it up."

Glinda chuckled but understood. The older woman shared, "Well, being on this earth longer than you has taught me how the male operates. First, if your billionaire weren't interested in you, he'd find ways to brush you off and say he's too busy. No one is too busy to return calls. That is a truth every woman should know. But more importantly, it's easy when you find the right person, my dear. People who have a lot of fights and drama are the ones who are in the wrong relationships."

Harley had never thought about it like that before. Yet it makes perfect sense. What she and Joker had was not love, nowhere near it. It was abusive and hurtful--- love was pain with him. And it's funny how she can see it now so clearly, but back then, the cycle of pain made her blind.

On the other hand, Bruce is the opposite. With him, things are uncomplicated and painless. It's stable, and the girl supposes his consistent behavior towards her has transformed her ability to give and receive romantic affection. He makes Harley better in many ways.

As the blonde considered this, Glinda wanted to know, "Tell me about your billionaire. Does he set your heart on fire with his smile? Because if that happens, there's no putting that flame out, which is how it should be."

Harley stared off into space with a longing expression. "I'll admit, Bruce Wayne really does have quite a smile. It's the heart-stopping kind, especially when it comes out of nowhere. That's his best one because usually, he looks very serious and dour, which makes sense being the president of his company, having so many burdens on his shoulders."

"And do you think about him often throughout the day," Glinda wondered.

That was an easy question. The blonde replied, "I do. I sometimes think about the guy when I should focus on my literature lesson or the girls in gymnastics. It's a sad addiction, thinking about him. It's like he's nowhere, then suddenly, he's everywhere, whether I want him to be or not. You know?"

Glinda laughed and patted Harley's hand. "Oh, Dear Girl. You've got a big case of being in love."

The older woman raised an eyebrow in challenge, which Harley dared not do--- challenge her because Glinda is always right. But she couldn't help but think, is what Glinda says true? Is she in love? Is Harley Quinzel in love with Bruce Wayne?

Before she could ponder that further, Glinda questioned, "When you think about your future, what kind of man do you want to marry or start a family with?"

Returning question for question, Harley inquired, "Why do you ask?"

The grey-haired woman placed the playing cards on the table and said, "Full house. I win. Now, for your answer. I ask because it's essential to know what you want. If you don't, you'll always be dating, never marrying. Also, it will serve as a guide so you won't settle for anything less than the kind of man you truly desire."