Chapter 2

The day of Harley's release came, and there were tons of conflicting emotions. This day is nothing new to her. She's been here before, where the liberation of Arkham would arrive, only to wind up right back inside the place she escaped from.

Harley is forever turning over new leaves only to spoil them, and that's something the girl doesn't want to happen this time. Because freeing herself was one thing, claiming ownership of that freed self was another. And that's what she's doing, owning her life instead of it claiming her.

With a good amount of trepidation mixed with equal parts hope, Harley readied herself for this new journey. She placed her meager belongings in a black duffle bag: a few well-read books, important documents, a sparse amount of clothes, and a picture of her, Dr. Leland, and Glinda. They are her gatherers. They gathered the pieces of her broken life and spirit and helped put them back together in the correct order, which was no easy feat.

While looking at the photo of her friends, a guard approached and handed the girl a gift bag. She looked at him curiously, but he shrugged as if saying, "It's not from me."

The mystery of the package urged Harley to open it and see what was inside. She did and was floored, rendered mute, because nestled under a bunch of tissue paper was the prettiest pink dress she'd ever seen. Pulling it out, the girl discovered it was sleeveless, with a wide red stripe around the top and at the bottom of the skirt and a large section of hot pink in the middle. There's a black belt around the waist and these dainty pleats all over to make it look so very feminine. If a person could fall in love with a dress, Harley did with this one. It was love at first sight!

But the note at the bottom of the bag made it all the more special. The girl's hand trembled reading it, and a certain satisfaction swept over her whole being. Knock Harley over with a feather because the dress was from the person she'd least expect it to be from--- Batman! She had to sit down and catch her breath. It was a simple note saying: Good luck with your fresh start. ~Batman

Not only does Harley have the support of Joan and Glinda, but her old rival's as well. At that moment, the big guy was no longer on the enemy list, which she supposes ceased a long time ago, but for the official record, it was that moment. It's funny because Harley can't remember the last time, before checking into Arkham, anyone ever gave real support. No one understood how desperate she was for it, and clung to it any way she could get it, even those that were unhealthy. Now that's changed with people who believe in her dreams and bring out her best.

After wiping away a stray tear, Harley gave the small room a last glance over and wrote a note to the next occupant. Like Batman's, it was simple in wording: From one inmate to another, if I can get well, you can too. Have faith in yourself and compassion for your fellow man. You can turn your life around! Love, Harley Quinn

One of the things she's learned is that it's important to have encouragement. That's what hope is built upon; without it, the soul withers away. Dr. Leland and Glinda have taught her a lot. One of the things she's learned from them is that if you're free, you need to free somebody else. If you have any power, your job is to empower others. She wants to be that kind of person--- an encourager who scatters sunshine like someone who sprinkles confetti. This letter is one small way to do so.

Harley carried the gift bag and the duffle, following the guard to the front. Walking, she thought about Batman's words of a fresh start. Everything new arrives on the heels of something old, and every beginning comes at the cost of an ending. Her old life, habits, and ways of thinking are the ending, the same as the years of therapy. No matter what happens, life keeps moving forward, and now Harley is finally in a good place to roll along with it.