checkmate

REYA HAD been right

REYA HAD been right. 

Vikram was indeed dazzled when he saw Trisha walking out her dorm block. He had been waiting under the block with his sedan when he caught sight of a black dress out the corner of his eye. 

Once he placed his eye on his crush, he was unable to move his eyes away. He didn't want to, either.

Feeling a little nervous and conscious about his gaze, she tucked her stray strand against her ear.

Once she saw him in front of her, she was struck with a realization. He was, indeed, Vik12Nayak. The legendary player of her server. 

"It's supposed to be cold tonight. Tell me if you need to borrow my coat." Vikram said, leaning against his car, taking another good long look at her.

"Hm."

"You look pretty."

He opened the door to the shotgun seat. With a soft 'Thank you', she settled inside. He walked around the car and settled himself in the driver's seat.

After a 20 minute ride, they reached the venue.

"Have you met these players before?"

Vikram nodded. "Yeah. I met DanPlaysChess and JinWin at last year's meet up."

Trisha's eyes twinkled. She was definitely going to be able to achieve her goal of meeting her favourite player.

Vikram held out his arm. Trisha stared at it, before raising her eyes back at him. 

"Link arms with me."

"Oh."

She obliged, feeling butterflies in her chest. He was looking more handsome than usual in his perfectly fitted suit.

The meet up had been organized at an old hotel's party room. It had originally been a ballroom. The chandeliers and lights looked antique. Coupled with the beige re-design of the room, it looked quite pleasant.

A server offered them two glasses of a drink. A little apprehensive, Trisha leaned over to Vikram and whispered, "What is this?"

"There's no alcohol, don't worry. It's just lemonade."

Trisha took a little sip to ascertain his words. Convinced, she continued taking sips. Vikram smiled and led her towards a corner of the room.

For a few minutes, no one approached them. They stood enveloped in comfortable silence.

"Isn't this Vik12Nayak?" A man laughed, mirthfully as he caught sight of Vikram. He gave him a brief side hug.

"How are you doing?"

"I'm good, Dan. How are you?"

"As usual." Dan's eyes flickered to Trisha, who had become more attentive when she heard the name Dan.