the eighth move

TRISHA STARED at her screen

TRISHA STARED at her screen. It displayed the match Vik12Nayak was currently engaged in. He was playing against the top player of another server.

His moves weren't as vague and unclear as in the first match against her nor were they defensive in the second match against her.

Her mind wandered to the match she had with Vikram from her chess club. Indeed, the moves were sharp and precise. They had very similar play styles.

As Trisha's mind rolled over the matter, it made more sense to her. Vikram being Vik12Nayak. Vik12Nayak being Vikram.

His ease in approaching her and conversing her.

What didn't add up was how he knew she was Tris4506...

Wait a minute. She had written her chess ID in the registration form when she signed up for the club. If he had by chance looked at it...And then her asking for help on the first day of the club meeting...the introduction...

Everything made sense now.

The virtual sound of a piece being moved startled Trisha out of her thoughts. Vik had won the match. He didn't have it easy by any means. He had only had his rook and his knight while the opponent had a queen and a knight. Yet, he had managed to deliver a checkmate. A little in awe, Trisha replayed the last few moves, committing it to memory.

She, then, headed over to her chat section.

She was fairly confident in her theory. So, she decided to act on it. Letting out a breath, she began to type.

Tris4506

Are you Vikram Nayak studying in Pulan University?

The receiver of the message smiled, reading it. He had been waiting for the very message for 2 days.

Vik12Nayak

:)

Tris4506

Why didn't you tell me you were Vik12Nayak?

Vik12Nayak

I didn't think it would have made a difference even if I did reveal it, considering you didn't exactly announce your identity.

Trisha felt it did make some sense. She admitted the thought with great reluctance

Tris4506

I see.

Vik12Nayak

Play a game with me. If I lose, I'll honestly tell you my intentions. But, If I win, I hope you can come with me as my date to the server champions meet up.