the sixth move

IT WAS a friday

IT WAS a friday. The second chess club meeting was underway.

Trisha watched Anand and Vikram playing chess with interest. She was herself playing against another chess club member, however she was unable to take her eyes off her neighbors' board. The same went for her opponent.

Their game was long forgotten.

In a decisive, quick move, Vikram declared checkmate. The chess club clapped in response. The other girls glanced at Vikram and seemed to look star struck. If Trisha was being honest, she herself felt a little bit dazed.

Anand let out a sigh and turned to the other members.

"I have exciting news, guys."

A pause.

"We'll be going to Crysalis High for the informal chess competition they re conducting as part of their fest."

Some girls excitedly shared that they had graduated from the school.

"Whoever can come along and participate is welcome to sign up in that sheet. Just write your name and assemble tomorrow morning at 8 AM, outside the University's B Gate."

The members glanced amongst themselves, discussing their plans while returning to their game. 

Vikram took a seat opposite Trisha, noticing that her opponent had left in the direction of her friend.

"You're coming along?"

Trisha tilted her head, thinking about it. "I don't know...Will we be in the school for the whole day?"

"We'll be back by 8 at night." Vikram pulled out his book from his satchel.

Trisha stared up at the ceiling, trying to recall any plans she may have made beforehand. She couldn't recall anything. 

"I guess, I'll go."

She watched him read his book. Bending her head slightly, she tried to catch a glimpse of the book cover.

Tips About Flirting And Relationships

Trisha blinked and looked away. She, who had grown up watching romance animes and dramas, couldn't believe a handsome guy would have to read a book to learn how to flirt. 

All those guys in dramas were naturals at it.

She wondered who was the girl making the handsome guy opposite her struggle in his romance game.

Impulsively, she said, "Just be yourself. That's what girls would want."

Vikram moved his eyes to her, raising an eyebrow in question. Trisha just smiled, feeling pity on his behalf. She pulled herself up and walked towards Anand to sign up.

Her words swirled around in Vikram's head. "...?"

The next day, Trisha was the first one to board the bus, that was going to take the chess club to Crysalis High. She had been super excited for the excursion. It had been a while since she had gone on one.

She took a window seat in the middle of the bus and plugged her earphones in. People boarded and shuffled past her seat. No one had sat next to her, yet. Trisha hoped to get the seat to herself. It would be so awkward to share a seat with someone.

What if her seat partner began eating cheeseballs?

Trisha's nose wrinkled in disgust.

A guy from the chess club glanced around, his eyes landing on the seat next to her, finally.

"Can I-"

"I'm sitting there." Vikram stared at him.

"Ah. Right. I'll just...find another seat, haha." The guy shuffled away, beating himself up mentally for almost ruining a couple's seating arrangement.

Vikram sat next to Trisha, who was unaware of the little confrontation that had taken place. She was dressed in a simple white dress, black sneakers and a green cardigan. 

She looked quite pretty. Vikram glanced down at his own clothes. He was wearing a green shirt, that matched her cardigan in shade. It was paired with denim jeans and a black cap. 

It looked to others as if they were a couple wearing matching outfits. At least, Anand thought so. With a little disgust in his expression, he muttered something along the lines "can't with this lovey dovey couple" and sat in front of the duo.

Trisha, who was intently gazing out the window, was unaware of the subtle message unintentionally received by everyone else in the bus and club.

Vikram sat back, feeling a little satisfied. He glanced at her earphones, tapping her shoulder.

"Hm-Oh! You're seated here."

"Can I borrow one of your earphones? I forgot mine."

"Ah, sure."

A earphone was plugged in his ear. He listened to the song she was listening. It was a flowerboys song.

His lips lifted into a small smile as he gazed out the window, his eyes occasionally flickering to her.

That day, Trisha and Vikram emerged as the winners for the respective female and male category of the competition.

After clicking a celebratory photo with the club and the principal of the school, Trisha and Vikram stepped down from the podium.

It was still only 4 PM. 

They had nearly 3 hours before the bus arrived to pick them up.

The rest of the club dispersed to check out the fest and stalls. Trisha glanced around, holding onto her prize.

Vikram held out his hand. Trisha stared at it, confused. 

"Give me your trophy."

Trisha handed it. Vikram shoved the trophies in the hands of Anand, who happened to stand next to him.

"Come on, let's go check out the fest."

Trisha obliged.

As they began walking, Vikram held out his hand again. "Hold my hand so you don't get lost."

Hesitating, Trisha slided her hand in his. Why did it feel like they were a couple?

Anand, who was left holding the two trophies, "...."

a/n: things are getting more interesting, right??

wordcount: 920 words
soundtrack: 247 - seventeen [soundtrack playlist]