chapter 16

Camelia pov

Summer months were here, I thought at the time, I had been living with Maurice. I was thankful for Maurice, he treated me like as if I was his daughter. I thought as I woke in my bed, it was covered with deerskin, and bear furs. I thought at the time, as I sat up in the bed, I was studying the treehouse, the home of Maurice. Was made of thick, sturdy branches and with woven vines. In my bedroom the bed was made of deer, bear furs, and thick branches. As well I thought at the time, as I went to get up at the time.

I heard the rain In the background at the time, as I walked from my bedroom into the living room. the living room area had a large circle platform that served as a living room, dining room, and space. For the apes, such as Maurice and other apes that visited him. there were wooden shelves and natural nooks. There were books that Maurice gathered, there were pots and flowers through the treehouse.

The treehouse is decorated with artwork that Maurice made, there were lanterns made from the gourds and leaves hanging from the branches above I thought at the time. I thought at the time, I heard the rainy weather outside of the treehouse, I could hear the apes in the background as well I thought at the time. As I heard Maurice, come from his bedroom. In the area in the living room where I was at the time, I started to sign the ape – asl to him "Good morning Maurice" I signed to him, he sign back I thought at the time. I thought at the time, I had been here for a month maybe I thought at the time as I heard the rain in the background.

"How did you sleep ?" Maurice signed, I remember tossing and turning in the bed and having nightmares. The men that took and kept me in the basement, then I started to sign back at the time " nightmares...memories of the men that took me and kept me" I signed back to Maurice at the time, and he signed back, "Camelia, my dear," Maurice sign, Maurice treated me as if I was his daughter. "I cannot erase the past, my dear. But I can offer you my presence and my wisdom. It's the shadows we must confront to dispel them." Maurice signed to me, I didn't know what to say or do, she felt Maurice squeeze my hand, Maurice was so understanding, and caring towards me.