𝙛𝙞𝙫𝙚 - 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘭𝘬𝘦𝘳 𝘤𝘢𝘮𝘢𝘳𝘰

Kai had ditched his jacket at some point during the walk across the mountain.

Somehow this kid made this walk weekly to see Lennox and the rest of the unit. Kai didn't know how he did it – Kai played soccer, lacrosse, and ran cross-country, and he was so out of breath and sweating buckets.

Thankfully, there was a well and a tower they could potentially get phone service.

Kai walked up to the well with Epps, he was hit by the splash of water that Epps poured onto his face. Just as Kai went to grab the cup, Fig started to shout. Kai looked over to where Fig was, seeing the sand starting to get kicked up. Kai moved backward quickly as the tower suddenly went down.

Donnelly turned sideways to find out what happened behind him. "What the heck was that?" He asked.

Kai took a deep breath, turning his head to say something to Lennox. His eyes widened at the sight right behind Lennox. Before Kai could get the words out, Epps was already ahead of him as he shouted. Kai aimed his gun at the thing coming up from the sand. He wasn't sure what he was looking at, but suddenly, the long-pointed tail was back under the sand.

The unit started to shoot at the thing that was about to kill Lennox. The sand was kicked up massively. Kai wasn't sure where he was shooting or if he was actually shooting at anything.

Soon enough, Lennox gave the order for the unit to settle and be quiet. The thing went back under the sand, hiding from them. Kai had his back to most of the unit until he heard the screams from Donnelly behind him. Kai whirled around, watching Donnelly getting whipped around, hanging off the spike of the tail. "Oh fuck!" Kai took off.

The rest of the unit followed suit – sure, they were leaving behind Donnelly, but right now, they had to get themselves to safety and contact the Pentagon. The unit ran, shouting to each other, and shooting at the monster behind them. The sand was kicked up as they ran into the village where Mahfouz lived.

Kai could see some of the men of the village coming to their rescue. He started to shout at the villagers to run and take cover. Kai looked behind him, "Epps! Incoming!" Kai shouted, pointing his gun at the robotic monster. He started to shoot at the monster as Epps fell onto his back.

"Cover fire! Move it!" Lennox ordered. Kai listened to Lennox as he gave the orders to the unit. Kai ran over to one of the broken walls, peering around it to shoot at the monster. Lennox ran off with Mahfouz to get the phone from Mahfouz's father. Kai continued to shoot when Epps gave the order.

Kai ducked his head when an explosion happened behind him. He glanced over his shoulder before attempting to take down the monster again. Kai swung his body up against the wall as something was shot in his direction. "What the fuck is this thing?!" He shouted as he quickly moved to get into a better position.

Lennox came running out with Mahfouz's father's phone. He was shouting about needing a credit card. Kai couldn't believe what he was hearing, but there wasn't time to argue with the telephone operator right now. Kai saw Lennox go over to Epps, asking for his credit card.