Chapter Thirty

MATTHIAS

We had one more night in Brazil after a great win for the team at today's race. I placed first, and Romain finished third. Theo may have interrupted our perfect run—which also made me sweat a little for the final few races—but overall, it was looking good.

Francesca had promised Romain that we'd go on a double date with him and Rosa tonight, and as I buttoned up my shirt and slid my arms into my blazer, this was the last thing I wanted to do.

Francesca was next door to me, talking it out with Lily who was adamant on apologising for her behaviour the other day. I understood that as a communications manager, she needed to ask the hard questions on behalf of the team. But it was just stupid and shouldn't have been a question in the first place. It was like the questions I got before a race. "How are you going to win today?" Obviously, by finishing first.

I brushed my hair to the side, trying to ruffle it up so I didn't look so stubborn and precise. I'd also shaved so my jaw was tidy, but I looked like a slimy CEO. I didn't have a reason for why I was putting in so much effort other than to impress Francesca. Hell, I'd never felt so nervous around a woman in my life.

I heard a knock on the door and went to see who it was through the peephole. I was hoping it would be Francesca, and I was right...but it was also Romain and Rosa. Great.

I opened the door to greet them all, but my eyes were really only focused on one person. And her long curls. And her tight red dress that showed a little too much cleavage for my cock to stay hidden.

"Olá," Romain sang as he held his hands in the air. "Are you ready for caipirinhas and a lot of meat?"

Rosa couldn't help but laugh before she said, "I always am." Francesca gave me a playful wink before nodding in agreement. I shook my head as I stepped into the hallway and closed my hotel door. I wrapped my arm around Francesca's waist and kissed the side of her head.

"Where are we headed?" I asked.

Rosa pointed towards the hotel exit before running with her hands like Superman.

"They had two drinks before they came down," Francesca whispered.

I rolled my eyes. "I had a feeling."

"We're going to a small bar just down the road," she continued. "I'm sure it will be fine."

It was not, in fact, a small bar. It was a Michelin-star restaurant with large tables and white tablecloths. Next to our bowls and plates were ten utensils placed in a sequence that I could never quite fathom. We were seated in the VIP area, courtesy of being a famous athlete, and because Romain's brother owned the restaurant. The sun was starting to turn the sky pink, and Francesca sat in the perfect seat that gave me a view of everything.

She looked over at me before brushing her leg against mine. I blushed under the soft light.

"Hello," the man said, with the same accent as Romain. He also looked like him too, so I could only assume it was Romain-two-point-o. I wondered if he was just as annoying.

"Complementary caipirinhas for my brother, sister-in-law, the second-best driver at De Rossi, and the most beautiful performance coach to grace the Formula One circuit," he said.

Yep. He was just as annoying as Romain. But I had to appreciate his sense of humour...since his brother was lacking in that area.

Francesca blushed as he handed her the drink. I figured it was because she was embarrassed by his compliment, but I felt a sting of jealousy seeing her smile like that at someone else.