Chapter Sixteen

MATTHIAS

I woke to the sound of my phone's ring tone at full blast. I rubbed my groggy eyes before peering at the screen to see who was calling.

Mother dearest.

I pressed the answer button and held my phone to my ear, rubbing my eyes again to wake myself up.

"Morning," I said quietly.

I heard my mother squeal on the other end. "Oh my darling, happy birthday."

I sighed. It had been a few days since my incident with Francesca at the club, yet it had occupied my mind so much I'd forgotten about my own birthday.

"Thanks, mum," I said chirpily, in an attempt to sound somewhat excited. My mother always tried to give me the best birthdays growing up. She felt it was the least she could do. But for some reason, I hated them. There was no point in celebrating a day that made me feel no different.

"How does it feel to be twenty-six?"

I laughed. "It's the same feeling as being twenty-five. Although I think my hair's greying now."

I heard my mum chuckle. "I'm glad you haven't lost your sense of humour."

I decided to hop out of bed. After all, it was seven and I had to be at the Silverstone circuit at eight. I had my weekly catch-up with the doctor today, which meant he was either going to clear me or send me down a spiral of self-loathing. I pressed the speaker button and continued to talk to my mum as I entered the bathroom. I stared at myself in the reflection. My dark under eyes were openly revealing my lack of sleep lately. All thanks to a certain someone.

"Are we still on for dinner tonight? I've bought you a present I know you're going to love."

"Of course we are." Now that we were in England, I could finally catch up with my mum in person. She wasn't too keen on flying, and so it was imperative that I made time for her when I was in the country.

"Good. Okay, you have the best day ever and I'll see you tonight. I love you."

I smiled as I grabbed my razor. "Thanks, Mum. I love you too."

***

"Uh-huh," the doctor said as he looked at my hand in detail. The scar was evident, but the stitches were finally gone.

"And can you straighten your hand for me?"

I did as he asked. Honestly, I'd do anything for him to clear me.

"Good. And can you scrunch it into a fist?"

There was a slight pain when I did this, but I told him it was fine. A little pinch wasn't going to make me crash my car on the track.

"Whatever that physio is doing for you is working wonders. You have been recovering nicely."

"Francesca. Her name is Francesca."

The doctor looked at me and nodded. "Right. Well, Francesca knows her stuff. I can see why Nico hired her."

I could see why Nico hired her too. She was fucking unreal. And not just at her job.

"So does that mean I'm cleared to race this weekend?"

The doctor looked at his notes for a long time before answering. That was something that made me nervous, and I was about to ask him to answer the fucking question when he said, "Yes."

I looked up at him, shocked. I don't know what I expected him to say, but now that he had granted me the green light, I could once again relish the sense of winning.