Lost Love

Merlin chews the inside of his cheek while Arthur finishes his breakfast. There's a line in the floor of his room where he paced a line all last night. Sleep had alluded him, and if what Gaius said is right, the effects show this morning.

Arthur himself has made no comment. Because he didn't notice or doesn't care, Merlin isn't sure. Arthur isn't a morning person, he's come to find. Merlin had to all but drag him out of bed just to deposit him into a chair to eat his food. Ever sense, Merlin has made himself busy cleaning up the room.

"You're awfully quiet this morning," Merlin freezes when Arthur's voice rings out across his chambers. He turns to him with raises eyebrows.

"Sire?"

"Not that I'm complaining." Arthur shrugs and throws a grape into his mouth. "It's just...suspicious."

"Suspicious?"

"Like you're hiding something," Arthur narrows his eyes.

"I am an open book," Arthur only raises his brows in disbelief. Merlin decides to use his attention while he has it. "There is something I need to ask you."

Mouth full of food, Arthur motions for him to continue. "A day off. Tomorrow. I know it's short notice, but I can still bring you your breakfast in the morning, and-"

"Why?"

"What?"

"Why do you need a day off?"

"It's nothing bad," Merlin assures him.

"Then you can tell me." Arthur leans back in his seat and crosses his arms. "Unless it's a secrete."

"It's not," Merlin says a little to quickly. "I just...I need to visit a friend."

"Is that the truth?"

"Yes, Arthur." Merlin rolls his eyes and sighs heavily. "Not everything is a conspiracy."

"You're the one being cagey." Arthur said. Merlin sputters.

"I am not being cagey," He insists.

"Okay, what's this friends name? Do I know them?"

"No, you don't. Can I have the day or not?"

"Yes," Merlin's shoulders sag in relief but tense up even more at Arthur's next words. "I'll come with you."

"That is completely unnecessary."

"It wasn't a request, Merlin."

"Arthur, please," Merlin nearly begs. He's not above it, if that's what it comes to. But he'd rather not. "You can trust me, I'm not doing anything bad."

"So you won't mind me coming along, then."

"You know what, never mind," Merlin throws his hands up with a tight lipped smile. "I don't need the day." He can just do all his chores as quickly as he can, get done early and then go. He probably won't have the chance to sleep any the next night, the trip will take up most of that time. But it's a sacrifice he's willing to make.

"And that, Merlin, is suspicious," Arthur points his goblet at him. "Where is this 'friend' anyway?"

"Just over the western border. Look, it doesn't matter. I'm not going." Merlin grumbled. He picks up another discarded shirt and throws it into the pile by the door.

"Well, now I feel like I've upset you," Arthur sighs and sets down his fork. "Come on, Merlin, what's the big deal?"

"It's not," Merlin flashes his strained smile in Arthur's direction and disappears with arms full of laundry before the prince can respond.