Witchfinder

I know it was because of Merlin that the witchfinder came to Camelot in the show. But this Merlin knows better but I loved this idea.

Words: 2,929

***

Gaius really should get a real apprentice. Merlin offers to help wherever he needs while he stays. He is staying with him for nothing, after all, it's the least he can do. Gaius gives him a list of tasks that seem never-ending. Merlin doesn't mind, he likes helping Gaius. He just fears what the man will do when he leaves. He's not getting any younger but day by day, more problems arise.

Merlin can't deny how strange it is to be in the heart of Camelot. But it's not as bad as he'd thought. It's only been a whole day since the whole troll thing but Merlin figures he's walked nearly every inch of the castle. No one looks at him in suspicion, no one questions his presence. It's almost like he'd always been there.

He hasn't seen Arthur since the prince suggested he stay another night. Merlin hopes he won't mind if he stays a little while longer than that. There's just so much Gaius needs help with, he doesn't feel right leaving so soon. It's not like he has anywhere else to be. And he has no one waiting for him. Not anymore.

He ran into Gwen while running errands for Gaius. He's surprised it hadn't happened sooner. He saw her once during the troll situation but he doesn't think she saw him. If she had, she said nothing of it. As like outside the walls, Gwen offers him a kind smile and sweet words. It's as if she's telling him not to worry, his secrete is safe with yet another person. All without speaking the words. Merlin could have hugged her.

It's because of this that Merin has a bright smile on his face. Gaius's next task is simple. Deliver a sleeping draught to the Lady Morgana. He holds empathy for the young woman, he's no stranger to nightmares himself. Maybe he should try one of these elixirs too.

"Hello?" Merlin lightly knocks on the open door and carefully peers inside. He knows Gwen is Morgana's maid but she'd been on her way to do laundry earlier, he's sure that will keep her busy for a while. "Anyone here?"

"Yes?" Merlin will never admit to flinching. A tall, pale, dark-haired woman appears seemingly out of nowhere. She looks at him questioningly and he shakes his thoughts back in order.

"I'm Merlin," He introduces himself. "I'm helping Gaius, he asked me to deliver this." He holds out the jar and Morgana smiles kindly as she takes it from him.

"Thank you, Merlin," Morgana moves to set the bottle beside her bed and Merlin swears she's floating across the room. The exact definition of elegance.

"It's no problem," He assures her.

"How do you know Gaius?" Merlin had expected to be excused so Morgana's question surprises him.

"H-he's my great uncle," That revelation should not have surprised Merlin. He never could have imagined that he had any family left in the world. He's never been happier about being wrong. It's one of the reasons he can't bring himself to leave. "On my mother's side." He offers the information freely and Morgana accepts it happily.

"I didn't know Gaius had much family. Have you known him long?"

"No," Merlin admits. "I only recently learned of our relationship but I do wish to get to know him better."

"So you'll be staying in Camelot then?"

Merlin can't help but wonder why she's still talking to him. She's so...exquisite and the king's ward! And he's just...Merlin. "Maybe. I haven't decided," He's not sure if he can stay. "But I'd like to." That much he knows.