Beauty and the Beast

Words: 4,627

___

King Uther has married. The news traveled fast, even outside of Camelot. Merlin is surprised when he hears this. He didn't take the king to be someone to marry again. Or maybe he didn't think anyone would marry him. Though, the young warlock reasons, he is a king. It's probably a political thing.

Something about it doesn't sit right with Merlin. He tries to ignore this feeling. It might be anger, he's not sure. It simmers in the bottom of his gut. Why does Uther get everything? A kingdom, a family. How does he get to be happy and healthy when Merlin has nothing? All taken from him by that very man. When a whole new feeling takes over because of these thoughts, Merlin realizes that simmering is the cause of another.

He and Gwaine parted ways a few weeks ago. Merlin misses his friend but this is how it's always been. With Gwaine and Lancelot both. They're travelers, with paths in different directions.

Merlin's current path leads him closer to Camelot. He notices, of course, he does, he's spent his whole life avoiding the place. But he treads that line anyway. People need his help, he can't turn his back on them.

He's still disguising himself as a young physician. He's getting rather good at making people believe him. He's still frowned at because of his age but when he successfully treats the sick or injured, their doubts vanish. He's leaving the house of a young couple after informing them that their daughter will be fine with plenty of water and rest when he sees him. Merlin closes his eyes and shakes his head, unsure if he saw correctly.

Looking around, the warlock follows the head of dark hair that disappeared behind a few houses. When he turns the corner, he freezes when he sees the man has done the same. Merlin is about to call out when the man turns.

"Albyn," He greets with little surprise. He'd suspected all along but hadn't been sure. The druids camp near here but don't often enter villages or towns unless absolutely necessary.

"Emrys,"

"Don't," Merlin holds up his hand and shakes his head. "You know I hate that."

"You've been running from the truth your whole life," Albyn says while Merlin walks past him. He turns to watch the warlock but doesn't follow. "You can't run forever."

"Watch me," Merlin shouts over his shoulder.

"Arthur is in danger," As calm as ever, Albyn speaks these words. Merlin pauses and looks at his feet before turning back to the man. "He needs your help."

"What do you mean? How do you know that?" Merlin backtracks and steps up to Albyn. The man is older than him but Merlin is taller.

"Uther's new wife..." Albyn trails off, clearly hesitating. Merlin motions for him to continue. "Is a troll."

Merlin blinks so slowly that his eyes stay closed for a few seconds. When he reopens them, Albyn is still standing there, his face as serious as it always has been. "Come again?"

"Uther Pendragon is enchanted and has married a troll."

After a few moments of disbelief and silence, Merlin snorts. "Oh, this is too good," He lifts a fist to his mouth to silence his laughs. "A troll!? A real-life troll?"

"Yes," The druid sighs, looking much like a father who is not surprised by their child's disappointing actions, but just as exhausted by them. "A troll. And she means to kill Arthur." That causes Merlin to become more somber.

"What, why? How do you know that?"

"Without his natural air to the throne, nothing stands in the creature's way. She will kill Arthur and Uther and take over Camelot. You can't let that happen."