Chapter 20

Everyone had questions and there were answers I could give, only where did I even begin? Doctor Katie didn't have the same issues I did in being vocal with what was currently happening as she disposed of her gloves and gave me some kind of privacy back by going over to her computer. She managed to avoid looking at Cain, which was impressive because his mood was as dark as the clouds outside which I didn't think was a coincidence as more thunder had the windows shaking.

"You're practically full-term, Elise. Well done on making it this far." She finally spoke as I sat down between her and Cain. "But, you are two centimetres dilated. Not a huge issue, and it could mean nothing or,"

She quickly typed something, concentrating as her words lingered in the air.

"Or what?" I huffed, daring a brief look in Cain's direction. He didn't even blink.

"Or you could be well on your way to going into labour." The screen went blank as she turned back to us, smiling. That ended pretty quick. "It's hard to know at this time. You're not displaying any other signs and it's completely normal for your body to be starting to prepare and adjust itself for the upcoming birth."

"Of course it is." I force a smile, taking Cain's hand in mine and giving it a hard squeeze. "Completely normal. So, there are ways to promote labour and things you can do right? So-"

"I don't think we need to worry about inducing you just yet and-"

I shake my head, cutting her off. "No. Best place for him at the moment is where he is. We think. So, anything you can do to like, undilate me? Should I keep my legs crossed, do more handstands because you know, gravity?"

Doctor Katie frowns like she didn't quite understand what I was asking before she laughed. "Good one. I'm sure with the birth so close, it's scary. Especially as it's your first."

"No, what's scary is I have to go back to another world and still work out how to stop the Furies and send Uranus to Tartarus in what, a week, two, three if I'm lucky while knowing everything down there is preparing to open up for the melon to join the fruit salad of my fucking life." I snap.

"Oh no. Elise, I'm sorry, I-I- never," she stuttered, her face turning red as no further words came.

"It's okay. It's not your fault. Everything is just, a lot right now." I can't even smile this time. "Thanks for the checkup."

She just nods as we leave and the silence remains until we're back at the Valkyrie bar. I'm surprised to find Zane with Eric, especially since when we left not even hours ago he was practically dead. There is no reason to hide here, the sob that leaves me gets their attention and I'm in his arms in seconds.

"Just took a little longer than usual, Sunshine." Zane mumbles against my hair, before slowly letting me go. "Are you all good? All of you?"

He glances at Cain, and then back at me. I manage to nod as I wipe my eyes; the outcome I refused to consider of what our battle with Nieve could cost avoided. Eric hands me a couple of napkins, as I try to calm myself down.

"What do you remember?" Cain asks him.

"Dying." Zane sighs. "Got the full white room treatment. Again. No door this time, so figured I'd have to wait it out. That old Crone was a lot stronger than I expected. I'd never felt a hit of power like that before."

"Hopefully you won't have to do it again with the Furies." Eric slaps a hand down on his shoulder empathetically. "Doubt any of you will get away with it that easily though."

"What about before that?" Cain asks dryly. "Did you see Nieve before she died?"

"No, I was just on the ground looking up at her and in the second I realised what was about to happen, it did. Then nothing until I woke up." Zane looks at me. "What happened, everyone's been vague with the details. I came to wait for you, it didn't feel right not being close after everything."