Chapter 14

"So, I'm just gonna follow your lead." I whisper to Kara as we go to where Brynhild was waiting. "It worked out well last time, I mean we didn't get eaten, attacked, tricked, unless you talk about that fucking climb up the side of a mountain."

"What climb? I only remember Cain carrying you like a damsel in distress, Empress."

"We're not all freakily Valkyrie fit mountain goats and I hate myself for even saying this. I'm pregnant. My doctor would have a fit if she knew what you made me do, Queenie."

"As if you ever do anything you're told." She teased, yet all I could do in response was shrug more conflicted about whether or not I should wear shoes right now. They just weren't comfortable. "Why are you being weird, and oddly quiet."

"I'm not."

"Yeah, you are."

"Am not."

"Are to. Did something happen with Circe?"

"No."

"Liar." Apparently her crown was a little too tight today as she swiftly bopped me on the nose. "Was she right then? Are you distracted? Need a minute with your lover?"

All I wanted from my lover right now was some pain relief. I was sore in new places, and tired. I wouldn't argue with anyone at the moment if a nap was suggested, and I was already cutting into what time I had free this afternoon doing whatever we were doing. A little time to stress about the mystery message would be a bonus too.

"Don't tease her. I might replace you with her, she's easier to tolerate." I huff, starting to feel a little breathless as we went up another set of stairs. How big was this damn place?

"Ouch. Nice try though, what's going on?" I handed her the paper. "Okay?"

"It was in a fortune cookie." I stop walking, leaning against the wall.

Kara looked thoughtful for a moment. "We have those here?"

"You do now. Gaia is watching over the realms, you've got the people here taken care of. Tonight we can have this and come tomorrow?" I look at her and suddenly I'm being pulled forward.

My arms tighten around her as she hugs me close. I can feel her body trembling against mine and the short, harsh breaths she makes into my hair and against my neck. I close my eyes, expecting tears that don't come, while forcing myself to breathe beyond the numbness that had been taking over since I left Circe.

Kara smelt like leather and Chanel number 5.

The hallway disappeared and I'm with her on Eric's bed; my head on her stomach as we watched movies, drank mead and argued over stupid things like whether or not Jack could fit on the floating door at the end of Titanic. I remember the fierce club Leader I first met, who then became my best friend. Starbucks frappes and brunch on Sundays. I could smell the fumes from the motorbikes. Midnight rides to nowhere as she kept my sanity in place while I struggled to navigate a new world with Powers alone.

No, not alone because she had been there.

She eased her hold on me and slowly we parted, forehead to forehead as I met her gaze. Her blue eyes were heavy with tears that she quickly wiped away. There had always been a coldness in her gaze that I discovered was thanks to the pain she carried, never one to complain or expect pity. She had scars, places so deep within her that had been broken they'd never truly heal and yet she still loved. Cared. Tried.

"It is an honour to fight at your side once again, Elise." She sniffed, her hands warm as she grabbed mine.

Hands that stopped me reaching for another glass to numb the pain I felt inside. They had rubbed my back, held my hair from my face and guided me onto a new path. I felt the roughness of her palms. They were hands could be kind or as destructive as my own. They knew what it felt like to take a life, to cramp with the battle of wielding a sword and to hold on when it felt impossible to keep going.