Chapter 7

The light eased and finding us standing in an empty restaurant was a surprise. Turning around, the outside appeared very real, even though the view that surrounded us was too beautiful and perfect. The man that slipped inside behind us had a rush of cold air following behind him before he closed the door which instantly made me shiver.

He didn't look at us, slipping down a narrow corridor and disappearing from view. Hugging the black cashmere coat I had on tighter against my body, I wasn't complaining about my new outfit as the air stayed cold.

Gaia looked very much at home here strutting forward without a second thought. She lost the super powerful deity impression I was growing used to and now looked as though she'd just stepped off her private jet, dressed in winter fashion that had yet to be seen anywhere except for the runways of Paris.

I knew the type, more than once Penny and I had joined them; spending our family's money without a care in the world. That Elise had no idea what was coming and she'd never believe that the next time she'd actually notice the couture she had on would be with the Mother of all. To be fair, this Elise didn't really believe it either, but the red soles of my boots still managed to give me the same little rush of happiness.

The manager wore his badge proudly, actually bowing at Gaia before he guided us to a small table with the clearest of views by the window. There was a team behind him ready to pull out chairs, take our coats, serve water and drop napkins over our laps.

I had to be dreaming. I'd never woken up from my nap with the lion.

"The usual." Was all she said, the staff disappearing now knowing their role. "I know you have a preference for the cooler weather. I'm sure this is to your liking."

The smug knowingness of her smile as she fussed with the napkin ruined my mood. Never mind the fact the cooler weather was exactly to my liking, and if she were anyone else, I'd be tempted to abandon whatever this was to go and roll around in the snow like the child she accused me of being. Instead, I forced a smile, tried not to glare at her and remain neutral about every damn thing going on right now.

Mentally I clapped myself on my back - considering the breakdown I had barely an hour ago or that was the path my whole life seemed built around, I was determined to get through this. Richard could not criticise my ability to compartmentalise and not deal with anything completely ever again because if I didn't I'd either be dead by now or locked in a padded cell for eternity.

"Where are we?" I caught sight of the restaurant name, and outside the gondolas that moved up and down the mountain void of passengers or if there were any they didn't get out to come inside. "Wait, this is my realm?"

"I believe they call it Sulphur Mountain, and yes we're on your earth. To put you at ease I brought you somewhere familiar." This wasn't familiar; the last time I came to a ski resort Jordan nearly killed me on a slope that was not beginner friendly. "It is quite spectacular this world. Parts of it are anyway."

Gaia gazed out the window with a distant look in her eye, and I had to agree. The view was breathtaking with snow-covered mountains and the bluest water I'd ever seen winding through the valley below. I could almost feel myself start to relax as we just stared in silence until two martini glasses were placed in front of us, complete with a ring of dried orange hanging off the rim and a sprinkling of flowers across the foamy top.

"Don't look so worried, it's juice. I don't eat meat, nor do I consume alcohol." Gaia winked, taking her drink. "Now, you've had quite the adventure."

"Understatement of the century." She seemed to think about this as she sipped her drink, and I realised she may have taken that literally. No meat, alcohol or sarcasm for Gaia. "Joking."